Low budget interior makeover '91 stepside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
This is a basic overview of an interior redo of my '91 stepside (which I no longer own) I have seen numerous questions on other forums about re dying plastic panels, and re covering door panels.
This is by no means a high dollar custom interior, but a basic refurbish well within the reach of anyone who is willing to put in the time, and use a little elbow grease. This was broken down into weekend projects, as time and money allowed. at no time was the truck at point where it could not be put into service if I needed it.

As the pictures clearly show, I pretty much had nothing to work with. Probably the most disgusting interior of any used vehicle I have ever purchased. Proof that anything could be saved. The years of dirt and filth actually saved these panels from UV damage, and the fact the truck was original, and never molested, no panels were broken, other than the glove box door, and the center console (probably from someone sitting on it).

You must be registered for see images attach

First, I stripped the interior, and power washed all the plastic panels at the local carwash.
2 bottles of Spraynine, a scrubrush, and $5 of quarters later...

I then installed a new NPI carpet kit I got from Summit racing. The color is off, but that will change.

I matched the radio relocation kit and glovebox to the original buckskin(?) color, but that turned out to only be temporary.

As stated in my other thread, '92-'00 Pontiac/ GM midsize buckets are a bolt in. I picked them up on craigslist for $60.00
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?796-88-98-Bucket-seat-alternatives

At this point, they are bolted into the truck, and with the exception of the carpet, the original interior remains.

Added a '95-up console dyed it, and the the dash pieces again to match the new carpet and seats a little better. Eventually, the buckskin(?) colored panels will be dyed to match the new color. I also added a Cavalier steering wheel.

I removed the original headliner, then brushed off of the remaining glue with a wire brush, and compressed air.

New headliner material from http://www.yourautotrim.com/ is applied with spray adhesive (I reccomend using a high quality
glue when doing this)

When I paint interior plastic, I use SEM colorcoat areosol. This is all I have ever used, and have had great results every time. The key to using this is preparation. The older the panels are the better the paint will adhere. On older panels all of the oils in the plastic and mold releases have outgassed. Make sure all oils, dressings are no longer present before you attempt to paint.
I clean all parts with dish soap, then with spray nine. Before I paint, I wipe everything down with 3M general purpose adhesive cleaner.

Headliner and panels back in, along with some '95-up sunvisors. Not a perfect match, but close enough. The camera actually makes the match look worse than it is.

After a one hour drive, and a deal for a rear bumper on craigslist fell apart, (bumper was worse than the one I had) I figured I'd salvage the trip, and make the best of it,so I grabbed this console out of a wrecked '96 x-cab that the seller had.
Don't really need one, but for $20 what the hell?

The door panels needed to be completley stripped. nothing salvageable.

Stripped all the old nastiness off...

cleaned, and blew some paint on to the plastics, and armrest

I got some material to match the pontiac seats from Yourautotrim, and mom stitched them to some of the leftover1/4" headliner material. They get attached to the top portion of the door with spray adhesive, and hot glue on the edges that get folded over onto the backside of the panel.
The unstitched material gets applied to the rest of the panel, following the original design.

Non backed automotive carpet stretches easily over the contoured lower portion. fortunatley, there is an edge along the pocket, under the armrest and around the door vent to tuck the carpet under. (the color looks grey in the first pic)

Interior Completed...

Every plastic panel in this truck had been re sprayed, withthe exception of the base dash which was cracked, and I had intended to change.