Lost Serpentine Belt - "Check Guages" light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hydengr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saturday Morning I was headed out and about 5 miles from my house the idler pulley **** the bed and took my serpentine belt with it. I was able to turn the truck around and head back for home. In that short time, the “check gauges” light came on. Temp gauge was spiked. Drove that way ~ 4 miles (no place to pull over) and got it home. No steam or other blatant signs of overheating, but what should I check to be sure? Truck is in overall very good condition. Antifreeze changed regularly throughout its life.

Thanks in advance...

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
The check gauges light came on because the alternator stopped charging. As long as you didn't severely overheat it, you are good. You might have to charge up the batter because you were Nunn in on it vs alt power like it should. New belt and pulley and you should be ready to roll. Easy fix.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
The check guages light probably came on for the overheating first and then the alt. Nothing to really check just get it back together and see if it'll run

Hydengr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Appreciate the quick replies...

Ordered new idler pulley and belt from Rock Auto on Saturday; already shipped and on-route. Ought to be back on the road this weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed...

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had the idler puller bearing blow and melt the serpentine belt n slip off in October on my dad's burb easy fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hydengr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
easy fix indeed... idler's replaced along with new belt. All's well. Thanks again for the replies!