Lost Key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
They are expensive. If the same key would open the door and crank the truck before, go back to the dealer. They should cut you another for free.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
They are expensive. If the same key would open the door and crank the truck before, go back to the dealer. They should cut you another for free.

Exactly. If your old key worked for both doors and ignition, go back and get another key for free.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Check the new key! Sometimes the guy cutting them forgets to give the key a quick check for burrs. Easy check with your fingernails. If they catch on any bit of the key, just hit it with a round or triangular shaped small file to remove 'em. Do all the grooves across the key then down the length of them. Doesn't take much to get those burrs off, so don't go too crazy on that
This happened just the other day with ALL the new keys for M&D's new house. Couldn't even get them into the tumbler.
None of them fit or worked till me & the old guy started looking closely at them. A bit of filing & now they work.

TexasChevy

Reaction score
First thing I did was hit it with a file. Neither me or the previous owner(My brother) ever used the key in the door, so we can't say if it ever worked. Asked the guy he bought it from and he said he didn't know if the lock cylinders been replaced or if he had an extra set of keys. Going to set an appointment with the locksmith and go to my local auto-parts store for a new lock cylinder. Lots of money but I will be making a couple backup keys!

You don't realize how much you love your truck till you can't drive it for a while!

Xanatost

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On a side note what is the best way to oil up the ignition. My key works fine even tho its the original one. I have a hard time putting the key into the auxiliary mode. Sometimes it wont even go no matter how many times i try. I dont want to change out the ignition I am hopping that some lube in there will help out or maybe I should just get a original one made

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
You need to change your lock cylinder, not the ignition switch to fix that problem. You may try some graphite powder in it. Whatever you do, do not use liquid oil in it, it will gum up the pins in the lock making it very difficult to turn on.