Lost Key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasChevy

Reaction score
So I have a 95 Chevy K1500 and today while I was running around with someone else, I seemed to have lost my key. Unfortunately the truck only had one key and I have not gotten around to making a spare. I tried using a paperclip or a small screwdriver to move the pins and turn the cylinder but that didn't work, I figured it was worn down because my key was pretty dull and could be removed while the truck was on. I'm kinda stuck now on what to do. I wouldn't mind it being able to start without a key just need a fix to be able to use it.

Sorry that was kinda long, Thanks in advance for the help,
David

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to the dealership with your license and the registration (has to be in your name). And they can cut a key from your vin number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasChevy

Reaction score
I'll call my local dealership tomorrow and see what they can do for me. Kinda hoping there was some kinda trick to get it to work without a key :( !
Anything if the cylinders been changed before?
Thanks for the info though!

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If they have been changed then your prolly outta luck cause all the dealer can do is copy your key or make one based on your vin

TexasChevy

Reaction score
Ya we'll see what the dealer says. I could change the cylinder myself but from what I understand you need the key to do that. I assume there is a more destructive way of doing it.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I assume there is a more destructive way of doing it.

Slide hammer. Yank the tumbler out with that, then from the passenger side, kick the wheel on it's rotation to break the steering lock. Stick a larger flat screwdriver into the opening where the tumbler came out of. There's a keyway inside the tumbler hole that you gotta get the screwdriver into. Twist in the direction to start.

You didn't hear this from me!!! Ooohhh nonono!

You must be registered for see images attach

TexasChevy

Reaction score
Ya that is definitely the destructive way of doing it. Although if you can get it to turn after yanking the tumbler out does the steering wheel lock disengage, also does the gear selector free up as well. This is not my first choice, but will definitely work if I cant get a replacement key!

You didn't hear this from me!!! Ooohhh nonono!
Hear what? Lol! Not like the internet never taught anyone something bad or anything.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I don't believe that the steering lock releases after the tumbler's out. It's a flat rod that slides up & down with the twisting of the key.
The gear selector should release with the twisting of the screwdriver.
Some have the male end of the tumbler inside. That can be turned with a pair of needlenose pliers.