Looking for tailgate lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diego0123005

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a 97 C1500. I have just realized how stupidly easy it is to steal a tailgate on these trucks. Any recommended tailgate locks?

JWall

@jwall202
Reaction score
Are you wanting a lock to preventing it from being opened? or just being stolen?

For keeping it from opening... the Pop Lock above or similar.

For anti theft you can use something like.... http://www.jimmijammer.com/GK Inst Tutorial, GM 88-98.htm

Or what I did is I have a bolt and spacer that comes out over the hinge that wont allow the tailgate to come off. Just use a allen head or a security bolt of some sort.
The odds of them having the correct tool or spending the time is very slim. Odds are they'll skip to the next tailgate.
Someone used to sell a kit like this but I just made my own from hardware at Lowes.

I've even seen guys put hose clamps on the hinge side that releases... anything to deter thieves.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use a hose clamp on all of mine

I install mine w/ the screw head facing the ground when closed. if they want it bad enough, they will have to lay on the ground to work it between the bumper, tailgate & bed.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
In the old days I'd use a hose clamp. Now with a pair of SS's in the driveway I've got Jimmi Jammer Gate Keepers on both. Very cheap insurance and easy to install.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You got another SS?
Yep. Got the Intimidator SS for myself and the wife was instantly jealous. She's been bummed ever since I let the black '94 extended cab go, since she had been driving it for several months before I decided to sell. She had been griping about the Magnum SRT8 I got her, saying the hood sloped too far down for her to tell where the front of the car was when parking...though I think the real reason is she'd bonked her head too many times on the roof getting in/out of the car. ;)

Anyway a guy out in L.A. I had been talking with decided to put his personal SS project up for sale, a low mile (50K) theft recovery silver birch '06 SS. It was a light strip (engine/trans and the front end parts that came off to get the driveline out, as well as seats and such) and he rebuilt it using a low mile Intimidator that had been a hard rollover, every body panel destroyed. Any extra needed parts (hood, bumper, headlights, etc.) he bought were all real GM, not aftermarket. A little paint matching at the same shop that did the repairs and full repaint on my Intimidator, and she's good to go. :)

You must be registered for see images attach

I've since installed a set of nice lightweight Centerline Stingrays and brand new Toyo Proxes ST2's in the stock size. Now she's got a nicer truck than I do (mine has 30K more miles, and of course was wrecked when I bought it) but she admittedly was too paranoid to drive my truck with all the fresh paintwork and brand new 22's on it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard