Looking at a 1995 Chevy K2500 - won't shift out of first

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Varvis

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm currently looking at a 1995 Chevy K2500. It's an extended cab, short bed, p/w p/l p/m, 350 with the 4l80E, only 115k miles, and has a little bit of rust on the rocker panels and right between the passenger side front wheel well and door but still looked great as all of the wheel wells were in good shape and it was in a sharp color of silver. The truck also comes with a color matched locking canopy and BFG A/T's with 90% tread left. The seller was asking $4200, which seemed like a fair price considering the mileage and overall condition, so I went and took a look at it and figured if I could get it for about $3000-3500 I'd be buy it.

When I got there I chatted with the owner and she said she was looking to just get rid of it as she had like five different vehicles, so I checked out the truck and everything seemed fine. I asked if I could take it for a quick test drive and the owner said no problem, handed me the keys and let me take it for a spin. The engine ran fine, the 4x4 worked good, but it wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. I came back and told the seller, she jumped in the drivers seat and couldn't get it to shift out of first either. She said she hadn't driven it in awhile and it's just been sitting for the past few weeks, and that before she parked it, the truck ran fine.

I'm still interested in buying the truck, and hopefully I can now get it for next to nothing since I'm assuming she doesn't want to face the price of either rebuilding/replacing the tranny. My question is: what could be wrong that a 4l80e wouldn't be shifting out of first, and why would it suddenly stop working after sitting for awhile (given the owner is telling the truth)?

Also, is $800 a fair offer for a '95 with a blown tranny? And how much does it typically cost to get a tranny either rebuilt or replaced?

Thanks.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
I don't know for sure considering it's an 80e, but that could be blown fuse, bad ignition switch, etc. IIRC, mine did the same when my ignition switch went bad.

Sent from my Nintendo 64