Look at this. Scary

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
This is scary i aint never seen a belt do this. I noticed it when i was checking the powersteering fluid. The belt split up its ribs. When i was going 70+mph.
You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
That's weird. I wonder if its the original, or is there something wrong in the pulley system. I've never had a serpentine belt get that bad. I tend to replace them at random imtervals that may be shorter than needed though.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
That's weird. I wonder if its the original, or is there something wrong in the pulley system. I've never had a serpentine belt get that bad. I tend to replace them at random imtervals that may be shorter than needed though.
All the pulleys are fine no sharp ones. And yes i was scared shitless when i looked at it

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a symptom of a weak belt tensioner. It's been 15 years so memory is not perfect; had a Cummins that kept eating belts, even with new tensioners. Cummins engineers said only to use Cummins tensioners, or to check the torque required to deflect the tensioner from the belt; 30 lbs-ft was the number I recall, with the wrench 90* from the tensioner leg. The non-cummins tensioners all tested below 20 lbs-ft. I put a new belt on the 6.5TD truck a couple thou ago when I bought it, but not a new tensioner; when the engine is running especially with A/C engaged the tensioner bounces. Notably, sometimes the new A/C compressor, with paint still on the pulley, slips and squeals at startup. So quite obviously the tensioner is inadequate.
Edit; the Cummins was a N14, not a pickup truck engine so the belt was probably 50% wider. I haven't measured torque on these pickup motors, but maybe I'll go do that now.
/

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Years ago, same happened to me on a 2006 F450 w/6.0 PSD and a hydraulic pump kit, right around 100K miles. Heard a flapping noise under the hood and investigated. Belt was hanging on by a couple ribs, the rest were flying. Limped it back to my shop as gently as possible and amazingly, it made it.

Went to the wrecker shop to pick up another belt and told the parts guys what happened, and the old dude in there said I got about twice as much mileage out of the belt than a lot of people. My guess on those is a lot of guys are bad about hitting the switches with the RPM's and really loading the belt. Those hydraulic pumps are a serious load and are activated with an electric clutch just like an A/C compressor.

By the way had to do almost the entire replacement by braille, it's such cramped quarters under those hoods. Took me a few hours to get the new belt in place. The only online info I could find at that time were people bitching about how much the dealer charged to replace their belt. Those were on stock trucks w/no hydraulic kit.. the kit adds another couple or three pulleys to battle.

Richard

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
Wow. Yea the tensionor is good. Just prob the original. Replaced it 3 months ago knock on wood no signs of wear.
Years ago, same happened to me on a 2006 F450 w/6.0 PSD and a hydraulic pump kit, right around 100K miles. Heard a flapping noise under the hood and investigated. Belt was hanging on by a couple ribs, the rest were flying. Limped it back to my shop as gently as possible and amazingly, it made it.

Went to the wrecker shop to pick up another belt and told the parts guys what happened, and the old dude in there said I got about twice as much mileage out of the belt than a lot of people. My guess on those is a lot of guys are bad about hitting the switches with the RPM's and really loading the belt. Those hydraulic pumps are a serious load and are activated with an electric clutch just like an A/C compressor.

By the way had to do almost the entire replacement by braille, it's such cramped quarters under those hoods. Took me a few hours to get the new belt in place. The only online info I could find at that time were people bitching about how much the dealer charged to replace their belt. Those were on stock trucks w/no hydraulic kit.. the kit adds another couple or three pulleys to battle.

Richard

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
So every day i find something new to. So my 1 rpo code says i have a 15 gal tank. But at the pump it stops at 25 gal. So idk. It has a 25 gal tank big drive shaft. Fosent have f44 heavy chasis. Maybe yall can help. Hers my rpo code list

Attachments

• 20230730_202827.jpg
    20230730_202827.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 9

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
ye9 means silverado z82 is trailer towing I think l31 is for 5.7 vortec jb5 is your brake system code g80 is for the eaton gov-lock

I do not know the rest

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
I think you got about 99.9% of your money out of that belt. The only way to get more would be if the belt fell off as you

ye9 means silverado z82 is trailer towing I think l31 is for 5.7 vortec jb5 is your brake system code g80 is for the eaton gov-lock

I do not know the rest
Only one i know for a fact is m30. Thats 4l60e.