Long tubes? Or short?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I'm torn between long tube or short tube headers. On the one hand long tubes are just nice, but its hard to beat the simplicity of bolt up shorty headers. Does anyone have pictures of their long tube instillation? Are there major issues like transmission crossmember interference? Just trying to get a feel of how long tubes fit in these trucks i suppose.

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
I have a brand new set of Hooker long tubes waiting to go on my 97 K1500. I understand there may be some front driveshaft interference. I will be getting a full custom stainless exhaust with x-pipe and truck duals put on the truck when the headers go on, so I won't be able to compared to an install with factory exhaust.

Dyelon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I say short.
I am running patriot headers on my 97' ECSB. I wish I would have never put these things on. I may be an amateur but it took a lot of work just to get them to fit right, and I am still trying to make them fit right to this day. I am actually about to pull them and go with shortys.

These are the culprit. Although the application tool on Summit says they are a direct fit they are not. Plus depending on which ones you go with you will have to modify your trans cross member for long tubes. They sound cool though. :banghead:
You must be registered for see images attach

I have pics in my build thread of modifying the cross member.

jasons99hoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
if your truck is 2 wheel drive then go with the patriot h8059. i did them and they work PERFECT. no cutting no bending no hammering NO modification at all. passenger side is snug getting in place but just shove it in and done. i will post pictures when im at home as i dont have the pictures on my work computer. i dont understand why anyone had to modify their truck. the exhaust shop just turned the collector adapter slightly and it was perfect. took me 3 hours and i was done.

Dyelon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if your truck is 2 wheel drive then go with the patriot h8059. i did them and they work PERFECT. no cutting no bending no hammering NO modification at all. passenger side is snug getting in place but just shove it in and done. i will post pictures when im at home as i dont have the pictures on my work computer. i dont understand why anyone had to modify their truck. the exhaust shop just turned the collector adapter slightly and it was perfect. took me 3 hours and i was done.

Was yours an extended cab or standard? Because those are the same ones I bought ceramic coated and they did not fit without heavy modification. I also have the 5.0 which should not make that much difference, if any.

jasons99hoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine is a tahoe 4 door. thats probly the difference but if im correct the trans crossmember is in the same spot as your if its a 2wd 4l60e. sorry it didnt work out for you. i get compliments all the time.

Joeyk94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
If your gonna do it just do longtube headers these are pacesetters with a 3 inch y pipe and a flowmaster exit right after the cab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
Go full-length and take it to an exhaust shop that can cut and move your flanges to the appropriate position. I have shorties on my truck only because I came across a used set. If I were buying new I'd never consider purchasing them.

jasons99hoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go full-length and take it to an exhaust shop that can cut and move your flanges to the appropriate position. I have shorties on my truck only because I came across a used set. If I were buying new I'd never consider purchasing them.
thats what i did. they cut one short and gave it a small turn and it cleared the cross member. it was close on the driver side. when using the patriots they didnt have an o2 bung on passenger side so i had them put one in at the collector adapter because i didnt want them to mess up my header. i also used a casper o2 extension. i had them make it 24" just to be sure
You must be registered for see images