Long tubes? Or short?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The beauty of longtubes is that it forces you to ditch those undersized 1.75" head pipes. They're every bit the restriction that the manifolds are so just slapping shorties in and calling it a day is still leaving a lot on the table.

Dyelon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thats what i did. they cut one short and gave it a small turn and it cleared the cross member. it was close on the driver side. when using the patriots they didnt have an o2 bung on passenger side so i had them put one in at the collector adapter because i didnt want them to mess up my header. i also used a casper o2 extension. i had them make it 24" just to be sure
You must be registered for see images

Or spend the extra bucks and get a blackberry tune to delete them. It was worth the $$$.

96z71sas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say short.

I have pics in my build thread of modifying the cross member.
Headers always leak it seams they have to seat right it takes bout a year of hot and cold but they will stop tighten til they stop and back off a littel they are a pain

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have TBI there are longs of medium length shorties on ebay in SS for less than $100 that are nice. But like Supercharged said you are limited by the downpipes into the cat. Still if you replace the whole exhaust the medium length are cheaper and easier to make work. I am attempting to put them on a vortec as part of a custom exhaust next week.

BBSteve

Reaction score
I installed coated Hedman long tubes from Summit on my 88, and they fit perfectly. Only required that the starter, oil filter and plugs be removed to install. The downside to these headers is that the were rather pricey. 450 bones and took about a month to get them, apparently they don't keep headers for a K3500 with a 454 in stock, they make them as needed. The install depends on what a person thinks is easy or hard , I feel that for what was gained, (under hood temps went way down and also got a slight increase in MPG) the installation was easy. I have installed headers on other rides that I wished that I had never even started. Long tubes for sure.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it's a 96-99 with the OBD2 it has to have 2 front O2 sensors, one for each bank. The fronts control proper A/F mixture.