Long But Good Read

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been around for a little bit. Figured I should post my truck. It's a 1992 C1500 5.7/MG5. Truck was bought used by my father in 1998 as a cheap truck. Equipped with a 4.3 and an NV3500 and only 50,000 miles, he drove it until 2007 when he bought a 2002 Silverado. It sat for 4 years until I turned 15 and we began to get it road worthy. New fuel pump, new brake and fuel lines, and away we went. Never missed a beat. Ever. The only time it left me stranded was when the tensioner pulley fractured in half! LOL! I still have it somewhere as a conversation piece at the shop. Oh yeah and in 2007 when he parked it, it had 297,000 miles on it and an updated 5 speed (the MG5 in 95+ trucks), since the original bit the dust when he got stuck one winter. He replaced the transmission 4th of July 2002.

I put 20,000 miles on it and took it to 317,000 miles. Put a new grille on since the old one had barely survived 2 deer, painted the wheels argent silver for a factory look, touched up the center caps, and put on the 94+ mirrors. I drove it for 2 years and parked it when I began school and got a car that was better on gas.

Then I got the itch to drive it again so when I turned 20 I began doing so. Rebuilt the throttle body, replaced the ignition cylinder and racked up 5,000 more miles before the Y pipe broke at the manifold and I didn't want to hassle with it. I had scored a 96,000 mile (allegedly) 5.7 from a caprice earlier that year and began acquiring parts to make it look stock.

So I quit driving it when I began classes at NIU the fall of 2016. 2 years later (September of 2018 LOL) I finished it up with the help of my father. When we pulled the 4.3 it still wouldn't die. Great motor, great fuel economy at about 23+ mpg. We never even had the valve covers off of it. Only the throttle body was the only major work done on the motor.

The 5.7 swap went smooth even though it took too long to do, it was not fun being down a GMT400. But since the swap it has been great. Only issue was pair of dead plug wires and a bad cheap O2 sensor. Truck runs great, shifts great, and I did the cab corners, rockers, partial floor replacement with the help of a small fab shop down the road. So it cleans up pretty good, the passenger fender is a re-pop that I got off a truck at a salvage yard and it looks bad. I cringe every time I look at it.

Future plans include: finally getting a bowtie, it hasn't had one since 2005, getting rust free bed, Silverado grille, and maybe a TKO 5 speed or T56 if the current one bites the dust. The paint/clear coat on the cab was redone in 2002 by a guy from the small town I was from who everyone loved. He passed away from cancer, so I don't want to respray the truck until I have to because I'm sentimental like that. Still miss the guy.

Anyway, thanks for reading about my little W/T. Might not mean a lot to most but since it was my fathers and I grew up in it I get sentimental about it.

photo courtesy of Rich Quality Photos of Peoria, IL.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should be able to see the photos now! Thanks for letting me know.