LM7 swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94silveraydo

Reaction score
Hey, first post on these forums. I have a 1994 extended cab K1500 Z71 4x4 with a 5.7L TBI and 4L60e, all with just short of a quarter million miles on it, and I love it beyond anything else in my life. Like seriously I would sell my house before I sold this truck. I would sell my 88 hurricane before thinking of selling this truck. This last weekend I found a LM7 motor for a hell of a deal and couldn't pass it up, and now I'm considering putting it in my Silveraydo. The motor didn't come with ECU or engine harness, so I'm also debating which route to go in that aspect as well(make a harness + megasquirt, scrap yard harness and ECU, carb route?). Regardless of the route I go putting it in my Silverado will take some work, including a trans rebuild(high miles) and all the other goodies that go with that.

My main concerns with the swap would be the differentials and the transfer case, would they handle the power of the newer motor? How much modification is required to the stock body harness to accept the new engine harness? If I go carb can I leave the factory PCM in place to control the transmission or do I need to get a transmission controller? Can I expect any difference in fuel economy?(soon to be my daily driver until I find something to replace the Civic I'm selling) I'm not concerned with ABS or A/C because neither have worked since I bought the truck three years ago, and I've just been too cheap to completely remove these from the mix.

If I don't swap the motor into my current truck the idea would be to buy a last gen s10 and swap the motor into that to have a go-fast vehicle again.

Again first post on this forum, so far all of my searches in this regard come up with 2wd trucks with the LM7 swapped into it and I'm not sure if its by design but my front diff makes noise when the hubs are locked so I'm not confident it'll handle the extra power output of a newer motor. I'll try to post some pics of my beloved rust bucket soon.