Lifting an obs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmaple

Reaction score
I've got a 1997 gmc 1500 4x4 and I'm putting a 6" fabtech lift in it in a couple weeks and hopefully a 3" body lift. Installing it in a buddies shop that has a hoist. Just wondering if anyone has any tips to help out that may not be in the instructions.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Start Pb blasting all your nuts and bolts now. Well mainly the body bolts.. the suspension ones shouldn't be to bad... but bike everything a quick spray every couple days till you do the work... specially if you see a bunch of rust...

sent from what use to be a great country...

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
PB Blaster or Liquid wrench on every bolt twice a day for a week leading up to the tear down. It makes your life so much easier.

21Actual

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a good chance your torsion bars wont want to come out of the keys. Mine sure diddnt want to move. Since you have hoist access, its possible to drop the lower control arms, bars, and cross member all in one piece. Thats the way I ended up doing it.

If your keys fight you, Id quickly abort mission and just drop the entire unit. Save a bunch of time and a headache.

A pair heavy duty c-clamps make short work of rebuilding the spring packs. Make sure you got access to some.

And Id also suggest thoroughly inspecting all your front end components before the tear down so you know what needs replaced. Easier to do it while its all apart. Also a good time to replace those upper control arm cam bolts. Whoever does your alignment will be enormously grateful.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Superlift all the way. Rides good and has yet to shudder at the endless abuse I throw at it.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I think the Superlift is a more duty/purpose built setup than the RCX kit I'm running.