Lift shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97redz71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had my stock torsion bars maxed out to fit 35s on my 97 sierra along with the front end aligned. I know the ride isn't going to smooth by any means, but the stock shocks clearly are not long enough anymore. My question is, what is the best brand of aftermarket lift shocks to go with and how many inches long should they be? And also will having lift shocks give the suspension another half inch or inch by any chance?

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
I recently had my stock torsion bars maxed out to fit 35s on my 97 sierra along with the front end aligned. I know the ride isn't going to smooth by any means, but the stock shocks clearly are not long enough anymore. My question is, what is the best brand of aftermarket lift shocks to go with and how many inches long should they be? And also will having lift shocks give the suspension another half inch or inch by any chance?

Lift shocks will not gain you any lift. Your truck's weight is placed solely on your torsion bars and leaf springs, the shocks are just there to smoothen the ride. That being said, many people run Bilstein 5100's in lifted applications for a firm but comfortable ride, which unfortunately isn't going to happen anyways with maxed out torsion bars.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Bilstein 5100's will be your best bet. But you may be cranked to high, so shocks may not help. Shocks will not add lift either.

97redz71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I am not expecting a smooth ride by any means. How many inches are the Bilstein 5100 shocks? And would it be recommended to get all 4 shocks or just the front 2?

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Yeah, I am not expecting a smooth ride by any means. How many inches are the Bilstein 5100 shocks? And would it be recommended to get all 4 shocks or just the front 2?

They come in many different variations of extended and collapsed lengths, you'll have to find which ones are right for your application. Try places like Summit, Auto Parts Warehouse, Shock Warehouse, etc to find the part numbers that correspond to shocks for your amount of lift, then Google those part numbers to find the cheapest prices.

If you still have the factory shocks, I would replace all 4. If you're hurting for cash just get the fronts, then the rears later. I would personally replace all 4 at the same time if it were me.

97redz71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright thanks. Maxed torsion bars are roughly a 2.5-3 inch lift correct?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Make sure your upper control arms are not hitting the stops. That will cause a harsh ride as well. I run the Pro Comp ES1000 shocks font and rear. I like them. Nice control over bumps and on the trail, but still comfortable on the hi way.