Lift kit preparations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adambru

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
98 gmc sierra z71 with 240km (150miles), thinking about doing a rough country 4 inch suspension with 33 inch all terrains. Truck needs new shocks anyways and tires. Thing im worried about is the stock parts in my truck being able to withstand the lift ad I hear they can be hard on front end parts. Truck has play in steering as well. Not sure where to start on it.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
With the 4 inch your angles should be fine. There won't be much more wear in the front end with the 33's either.

The steering slop is a common problem with the GMT400 trucks.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A good starting point would be to jack the front of the truck up and find where the play is coming from. It could be just the rag joint if steering box or any of the main steering parts, idler/pitman ARM, tre's, balljoints or wheel bearings. There will be no better time to replace them when doing the lift install. If the money is there I would redo the whole front end anyway with that many kms on it.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
A good starting point would be to jack the front of the truck up and find where the play is coming from. It could be just the rag joint if steering box or any of the main steering parts, idler/pitman ARM, tre's, balljoints or wheel bearings. There will be no better time to replace them when doing the lift install. If the money is there I would redo the whole front end anyway with that many kms on it.

what he said , when i did my 6 inch i rebuilt my front end, steering box, idler,pitman, inner outer tie rods, balljoints ect...

adambru

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much roughly was it to replace front end? Money is there also just trying to work out the odds and ends before a lift

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I did upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends inner and outer (even new sleeves), pitman arm, idler arm, and Jeep XJ steering shaft when I did my lift. Steers as tight as my '07 Tahoe. I used Raybestos Professional grade parts on the steering stuff, butttt I didn't forsee the ball joint problem and had to go with store brand stuff. After 300 miles I can tell they will need replacing. Get all MOOG or Raybestos Professional stuff and call it a day. I'd say you'd be $200 or so in parts.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Actually thinking about it it may be more around $350. Not $500 though. Check out rockauto.com