lets talk mufflers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
I'm currently running straight pipes running out the side behind the rear tires, but when I get around to redoing it I'm gonna run 2.5" piping no cats with glasspacks running out behind the tires

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
The drone sound increases/decreases depending on where it dumps....under the cab will be much more pronounced(annoying imo) than under the bed. On suv's and van's you're pretty much stuck with out the back/corners if you wanna eliminate most the drone. I didn't think about that until after I ran them out the passenger side in front of rear wheel, the drone is almost as bad as my yukon was when they dumped in front of axle. I still get migraines just from remembering that!

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The drone sound increases/decreases depending on where it dumps....under the cab will be much more pronounced(annoying imo) than under the bed. On suv's and van's you're pretty much stuck with out the back/corners if you wanna eliminate most the drone. I didn't think about that until after I ran them out the passenger side in front of rear wheel, the drone is almost as bad as my yukon was when they dumped in front of axle. I still get migraines just from remembering that!

2 words DELTA FLOW! its available on high end flowmasters. I had a Gibson on and it droned more than my 40 series Flowmaster with delta flow

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
you ever heard it when its dumped under the drivers and passenger seats, like angling out? thats what i want to do because you wont have much pipe to run, i pretty much want long tube headers with a few inches of pipe into some small cats, a few more inches of pipe into the mufflers and then dumped, but i have a feeling itd be loud

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
You can do the collector inserts(can get in 1, 2, 3, etc rings) then run turndown tips turned outwards. I would first get a bunch of cheapo stuff and mock it up to make sure it doesn't sound bad or annoying before committing to the welding and fabbing etc.

My old 68 had long primaries that exited out in front of rear wheels on each side. LOUD.....CRACKLY.....and FUN!!! Helped being a 3-spd converted to floor shift, if I keep reminiscing about it, I'll end up with another project. :nono:

TBI355

Reaction score
Flowtech shorties, dual 2 1/2" 16ga aluminized, thru original 40's exiting out both sides behind rear tires. IMHO, the best sounding exhaust I've ever heard. Sounds unbelievable when I tromp it under an overpass. (Or brake torque in the quarter wash, Cop LOVED that!)

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my 97 k3500 454 is stock back to the cats and had 3'' tailpipes with glass packs and 3.5'' tips out the back since new and sounded good, recently had to be redone and went with 2.5'' pipes and 40's in same set up just for a differant sound. its ok when you really get on it but is too quiet for me. what are you guys doing to run without cats? maybe that would help the rumble. also been thinkin about takin mufflers off and just runnin the cats with the same pipes.

Chevyguy78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont have a cat in mine and im running an O2 simulator so I dont get the cel. its alot louder. I love it!