Let's talk headlights...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do the Elegantes provide better light out put than stock? Been thinking of getting some but I can only find em for like $130

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
JJ have you considered doing the sealed beam headlight swap with that 94+ grill?

That's the first thing I would do if I didn't love headlight covers so much, I looked in to AEM headlights like projectors, but I read so much bad stuff about them. CowlBoy seemed happy with this set, I never read anything about his leaking or having bad light quality.

96twodoor

Dark side of the moon
Reaction score
I have both new stock replacements in my tahoe and elegantes in my truck and imo you can't go wrong with either , I'd stay away from aftermarket projectors as well unless you do the actual projector retrofit like mentioned above, pretty much just piggyybacked off what everyone else said but if you already have new stock parking lights I'd get the headlights to match .

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They are actually not HID (yet). But because the optics are so superior in OEM projectors they are almost as bright-with stock bulbs! With upgraded bulbs they just kill! The cut-off line is razor sharp and the hi beams light up the night.

I cannot wait to see this! Do it! Are you going to do the hi-lo 4 beam mod??? that would be ****.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Ok, so could does anyone know where you can get projector housings from vehicles with stock projectors? I'd love to get some, just to get better output and a crisper cutoff line. I think my light displacement light isn't too bad, though. I have the same set as Cowlboy had, from eBay. Haven't had a problem with them leaking, just need to adjust them because they're angled, so I need to cut my mounting brackets.

Here's what I have.

You must be registered for see images attach

BTW, yes, the inner part of the driver's light is sticking out, the adjustment screw was hitting the radiator support. Drilled a hole for it, so now it sits flush, they're just angled a little, like I said. I actually like them pretty well, as well as the rest of the set.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cannot wait to see this! Do it! Are you going to do the hi-lo 4 beam mod??? that would be ****.

I would like to do the 4hi mod-there a guy on here that has a HD wiring harness and relays and such-but it may have to wait a bit. Money was tight already and then we all had our hours cut back a bit so I have to be careful. Two daughters in private school and a son in college, so theres not a bunch left over.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, so could does anyone know where you can get projector housings from vehicles with stock projectors?

The 94-98 (somewhere in that area) Mitsubishi 3000 GT and Dodge Stealth have the best (read:easily adaptable) set-up for our trucks.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...w=3000+GT+headlight&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Theres at least two different editions. One is like the one I showed above that has an aluminum 1 piece housing, and one that has separate light housing afixed to a stamped metal bracket. Either one will work. With the individual ones, you can make another bracket for them that spaces them out a bit more-but its a lot more work. Ive hooked these up to a battery and played with them and the optics are fantastic. And they are bright too. I'll make a build log when I get going and I'll either put it on here or start my own and reference it here

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
hooly **** those are expensive Im thinking I need to go bac to the yard and double check that acura I think I can get the light lights for 10 or 20 bucks a peice

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 94-98 (somewhere in that area) Mitsubishi 3000 GT and Dodge Stealth have the best (read:easily adaptable) set-up for our trucks.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...w=3000+GT+headlight&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Theres at least two different editions. One is like the one I showed above that has an aluminum 1 piece housing, and one that has separate light housing afixed to a stamped metal bracket. Either one will work. With the individual ones, you can make another bracket for them that spaces them out a bit more-but its a lot more work. Ive hooked these up to a battery and played with them and the optics are fantastic. And they are bright too. I'll make a build log when I get going and I'll either put it on here or start my own and reference it here

Have you looked into the Morimoto Mini H1's or FXR projectors? You can buy either of them brand new for around $100 a set. Both are Bi-Xenon (which means they have a small solenoid in that drops down the cut-off shield when the high beams are engaged) and have a small enough diameter to be retrofited into our headlight housings. I'm going with the Mini-H1's for my 94' when i cross that bridge. So once I'm finished, I'll have 4 high beams when my highbeams are turned on which should be awesome as far as light output goes!! I'm looking forward to following your build on these!! What are your plans for mounting? Are you going to seperate them and mount them individually into the GMT400 housings? Or just fab a housing for them to fit into and then use the lens' off of a GMT400 clear headlight housing? A really good resource for this is a forum called: HID planet. There is a TON of very useful information there! http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I agonized over the mounting on these for quite a while. At first I was going to use the individual lights (I have both) and make a new bracket for them to space them out a bit to fill the opening a little more evenly. Bought the metal and everything. Lots of work, and Im not quite equipped to fab them at the moment. I was going to try and fit them inside the stock housings and use the factory truck adjuster. This will work, but a lot of fabbing needs to be done. So I took a look at the one piece unit, and it all fell together. As you can see in these pics I used a piece of UHMW plastic to make the main mount.

Then I went shopping at ACE hardware for some springs. I got a short one and a long one. In this pic you can see where they go...sorta

The short spring goes on the right, and the long spring goes directly under the mounting rod (down about 2.5" where the 2 1/4" measurement is) and each spring has a bolt through it that anchors in the rad support (where the rod mounts too). This will give me adjustment up and down and left and right. I will also have to cut a hole for the back of the light in the rad support. (thats my hold up at the moment)

Last edited: