Let the fun begin.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NOTE: For all the trouble that EFI systems can give us in troubleshooting mode, one of *the* main benefits that they give us engine guys is that since they are much more precise with cold fueling (vs carbs with the mechanical choke plates) ...you can open up a high mileage EFI SBC and there's near-zero ridge at the top of the cylinder bores? And I've personally seen decent cross-hatch still showing in the bores? It's amazing, especially when compared to what an old carb guy is used to seeing when the heads come off a carbureted junkyard jewel. :0)
As much as I prefer EFI over carbs, ring ridge wasn't caused by carburetors, but rather by poor metallurgy. My '60s/'70s era high-nickel big block Cadillacs were never EFI'd, and at 300,000 miles they didn't have any bore taper. Sometime in the '80s GM significantly improved the metal they used in the small blocks.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought GM reduced the nickel content in their blocks. I know they did in those Hecho in Mexico motors. That's why the would shatter to pieces if you ran 'em hot.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe, I'm no metallurgist. I just know they wear a lot better. When I took my 300k mile 500 Cadillac to the machinist back in '99, he measured the bottom end five times because he couldn't find any discernible wear. It ran a Quadrajet until I hot-rodded it, and then it got the 750 Edelbrock that it has now.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe, I'm no metallurgist. I just know they wear a lot better. When I took my 300k mile 500 Cadillac to the machinist back in '99, he measured the bottom end five times because he couldn't find any discernible wear. It ran a Quadrajet until I hot-rodded it, and then it got the 750 Edelbrock that it has now.
I miss my 73 Eldo drop top.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I definitely trust a home built a-frame over a tractor…. We had a line bust and dropped the engine/trans in the yard not 30 secs after getting it over the core support.
You must be registered for see images attach

Would have completely removed my arm had it happened sooner, as I was guiding the tail shaft away from the brake booster.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I definitely trust a home built a-frame over a tractor…. We had a line bust and dropped the engine/trans in the yard not 30 secs after getting it over the core support.

Would have completely removed my arm had it happened sooner, as I was guiding the tail shaft away from the brake booster.
Thank goodness you weren't caught. I always know better than to get under a load, but still catch myself reaching or being under somehow. Tractors are just so much easier and mobile.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to be on a mud bog racing team in the late 80's. The year I stopped we were 6th in the country on the indoor circuit. Started with a 6 cylinder 1st generation Bronco. That morphed into ford frame, blown alcohol mouse motored, Eldorado differentials on both ends homemade #60 chain transfer box Suzukie Samurai bodied beast. Sold that and built an Alston pro gas chassis running a 590ci Rodak with a 14/71 huffed on alky. This 5.3 with aluminum heads, roller lifters and rockers would have been a tricked out race mouse back then.

Hmmm. So it's safe to say that this isn't your first rodeo. :)

All of that sounds easy but at 67 it's a little more tough.

Amen to that. The more I learn, the more I want to try. My head is spinning with ideas...but my
body isn't keeping up the way it used to. Once upon a time I used to pull all-nighters on a car
project during the work week & nobody would be the wiser.

Now? If I pull an all-nighter it takes a solid week to recover. And everyone notices that Road Trip
is off his feed. :0)

At $800/shock I'd be looking to divest that chariot too. Good luck getting rid of the gotta-do
work so that you can focus on the 'get to do' stuff. Great thread, looking forward to your
updates!