LEDs in Stock Tail Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

What?

Reaction score
You do see what I'm talking about, yes? The LED replacement is not functioning correctly. Middle socket requires an SRCK style bulb.

Richard

That make sense. Thanks for mentioning it.

Do any of you recommend doing this on the original factory lights? If they won't be any different, they I will just skip this project.

I posted the video of stock bulb vs Zevo led bulb. Difference is there and worth the $25 to me. I upgraded to better taillight (look in my truck thread in my sig).

John Wayne

Reaction score
Yea I didn't really see the point if you're keeping stock red tails, but who am I to judge so I just have the information you wanted lol.

I swapped to these APC all clear stock copies is why I swapped to red LEDs cause they didn't have red incandescent bulbs.

You must be registered for see images attach

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Do any of you recommend doing this on the original factory lights? If they won't be any different, they I will just skip this project.

Nope, because I just thought of this idea last night at 10 and they were closed.

They have websites. :D

smart answer to a dumb question. great response.
use only red LED in a red lens.

Actually a logical question. Take a joke alice. Your response is unneeded. :p

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
They have websites. :D
Yeah I know, I did look, but maybe I wasn't searching the correct terms. :p :D

Anyways, I think I will do this, I did look at that video @What? , internet was very slow so I couldn't watch it (sometimes it doesn't let me watch videos because of the slowness). I did watch it now. I didn't see much difference in the lightening, but it did look brighter than the incandescent. I do love that instant lighting of the LED better than the stock bulbs. I guess I will save up for those once I recoupe some money from the interior LED conversion adventure. $80 spent at O'Reilly on LEDs, should've signed up at superbrightleds.com.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Ok guys, bought them today and what a let down. Turn signal was goofy on the left side. I will try to explain the best I can:

Right side works fine, everything works, now there's that saying that "there's always one thing that is stubborn" and it was obvious, it was the left side. So, I plugged in the bulbs, noticed the turn signal wasn't working. I turned off the headlights and multifunction switch, flipped it around. Worked! YAY! :D But wait... I turn the headlights on, and its not lit! Turn on the signal w/ headlights on, flashes normally, turned flashers back off, blank, nothing there. I flipped the bulb. Turned on headlights, worked, YAY! But wait again... turn signal doesn't work anymore! Both lights are lit on the left side, but no turn signal. Switch multiple bulbs to see if the one bulb was the culprit, nope, all bulbs were working flawlessly. I also tried a new and used circuit board, and tested the light wires, all in perfect shape and working order.

What the hell is causing this?!? Have any of you gotten this? I really want to keep my LEDs as they are much better, but I also don't want to get a ticket or have someone hit me because my tail light lights were odd and not working correctly. O'Reilly said I could return the bulbs if I am still having this problem, which was very nice of them. I spent about a half and hour to an hour, tried asking them and helped me with the circuit board and different bulbs. They didn't know what could be still causing this, so that's when they said I could return them if I wanted to if I still had the problem.

I hope this all made sense, it's kind of hard to describe without showing a video of me doing this.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Did you get SRCK type LED's for the middle socket...the turn/tail/brake function? 'Cuz we've been talking about it more than a little bit in this post. :)

Richard

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
I don't think so, I got Sylvania Zevo light bulbs. I think I am going to return the bulbs and just forget about this project, it is causing more work and money than I thought it would be. I just can't believe the left side is the only one not working correctly and the right side is just fine. All the same bulbs.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well, not trying to be that guy (well I am, a little bit) but we did discuss it. I've done a lot of LED's in GMT400 trucks and have experienced what works and what doesn't. I don't know everything about the subject but I will claim to know a lot!

It's not hard to have success with this effort. Just gotta get the right parts.

Richard