LED Lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone on this forum done a full led swap? I just ordered led headlight bulbs low beam and hi beam, ordered all the led interior bulbs, turn signal, marker lights, and ordered the led chmsl. I am going for clean light while trying to reduce the electrical load. If you have done an led conversion what are your takes on it. Are the led headlight bulbs really bright enough? I have had led taillights for almost 6 years now without any issues besides the occasional hyper flash that was remedied with an led flasher relay.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't do LED headlights unless you're planning on doing the TruckLites or equivalent in the W/T grille. We've discussed this to death in other threads here. The factory composite housings on these trucks were designed for halogens, anything else doesn't project properly and will blind the hell out of oncoming traffic. Same reason aftermarket HID kits looks so offensive in traffic.

Brightness isn't the issue, it's how the reflectors and bulbs are designed to work together. If you just have to have something that isn't factory, look into replacing your high beam bulbs with HIRs instead of the factory halogens. Bulb number 9011 is what you want to replace the factory 9005s. You will have to do some trimming to get them to fit in the factory retainers. Here's a link describing the trimming process.

https://sep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-91565365470012_2267_311973

Some people have replaced their 9006 low beams with 9012 HIRs, but I can't personally recommend that swap. Look at a 9006 bulb and a 9012 side by side. See the glare cap that's painted onto the 9006? Notice how it's not there on the 9012? That will almost certainly cause a hot spot of glare to oncoming traffic.

Personally I run factory halogen bulbs in both of my trucks, with Anzo 111006 headlight housings, 4-Hi harnesses, and relays to power the whole thing so the system isn't drawing all that current through the headlight switch. It's plenty bright if all your stuff is in order.

You must be registered for see images

Don't be the guy blinding oncoming traffic, please. If you really want some great info on vehicle lighting in general check this thread out sometime. Plenty of incoherent rambling, with a ton of great info in between.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/spyder-headlamps-my-take-on-em-and-lighting-in-general.36647/

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's a link to @Ruger_556's thread on the TruckLites for the W/T grilles, so you have a reference to what I was talking about. These are the ONLY non-halogen headlights I would ever consider running on these trucks, but I'm not doing a grille swap just to run them. The reflectors on these are actually designed for the LEDs in them, and they have an excellent pattern and cut-off line.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/led-headlights-for-w-t-front.23337/

EDIT - Side note in regards to the interior LEDs... I'm sure I'm not the norm when it comes to this, but I converted every interior bulb in my red truck to LEDs at one point. A year or two later I ripped them all back out and went back to incandescent bulbs. The LEDs just never looked right to me and I swear they gave me headaches from any prolonged exposure. Much happier now that I don't have to look at them any more.

Last edited:

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard the hid/ led headlight issue before, I have had hid's for 6 years in low and hi beam both and am running aftermarket black housings with very little chrome. My truck is lifted so I aim my street lights probably a little low as to try not to blind oncoming traffic and never get a hi beam flash so it can't be too bad. Hids in a factory chrome housing I can see how that can be too much. I am trying the led headlight for 2 reasons, first I am not believing that 2 leds per bulb aimed horizontal are going to be bright enough, second anything I can do to lighten the electrical load I am going to try. Sound system, extra lights and auxiliary lights and eventually a winch is a lot of electrical load for 1 alternator, obviously led lights draw a lot less power than halogens and incandescents

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
EDIT - Side note in regards to the interior LEDs... I'm sure I'm not the norm when it comes to this, but I converted every interior bulb in my red truck to LEDs at one point. A year or two later I ripped them all back out and went back to incandescent bulbs. The LEDs just never looked right to me and I swear they gave me headaches from any prolonged exposure. Much happier now that I don't have to look at them any more.[/QUOTE]

I have noticed led lights to be an irritation with prolonged use as well, at least the cheap overseas lights especially in the hyper or cool white. I ordered all warm white for interior and quality bulbs, at least they seem to be quality I will see when they arrive. I appreciate the input and always take other drivers into consideration before putting my truck on the road, if I would flash me then they need adjustment or change, my street lights are reasonable. These brand new trucks blind me even in a lifted truck so I know my lights don't do that.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like I said, it's all about the design of the reflectors. Believe what you want to but the information is out there. Halogen reflectors work with halogen bulbs, period. Check out CandlePower forums if you don't believe me. You're annoying people with those HIDs even in smoked factory style housings, whether you think you are or not.

The difference in electrical draw for two halogen headlight bulbs vs two LED modules is going to be extremely minimal. Personally I would rip those HIDs out and go back to halogens in a different set of headlight housings. You can convert every other bulb to LED, just don't force everyone in oncoming traffic to deal with that.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have noticed led lights to be an irritation with prolonged use as well, at least the cheap overseas lights especially in the hyper or cool white. I ordered all warm white for interior and quality bulbs, at least they seem to be quality I will see when they arrive.

Mine were all warm white from SuperBright LEDs, which is one of the best reputed automotive LED suppliers that I'm aware of. Excellent quality LEDs, still hated them. From what I've seen over the years they're pretty much all made in China, just slightly different QC and build quality. I've had eBay LEDs that were on the same level of quality as the SBLED offerings for less than half the price, and I've also had some that were complete garbage.

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like I said, it's all about the design of the reflectors. Believe what you want to but the information is out there. Halogen reflectors work with halogen bulbs, period. Check out CandlePower forums if you don't believe me. You're annoying people with those HIDs even in smoked factory style housings, whether you think you are or not.

The difference in electrical draw for two halogen headlight bulbs vs two LED modules is going to be extremely minimal. Personally I would rip those HIDs out and go back to halogens in a different set of headlight housings. You can convert every other bulb to LED, just don't force everyone in oncoming traffic to deal with that.
The differences between 2 halogen bulb to 2 led bulbs will certainly be more than minimal, besides, again I am talking more concerned for when I am on a trail and am running more lights than just headlights. If my halogen lights had been bright enough I never would have bothered but I couldn't hardly see the street right in front of me let alone any further out. And again I look at the front end with lights on when I am adjusting and adjust accordingly. My lights on street are no more annoying than a factory BMW sedan with hid headlights, and are far less annoying than some of these brand new trucks I have seen! I guess you are just use to seeing some kids that just upgrade to say they have this or that, I upgrade for function, and style but function comes first. I am 36 and have graduated Wyotech and have worked on cars most all of my life, I am not trying to be obnoxious or annoying to other drivers, and I always get opinions from people I know. Oh and I usually kick off my headlights when I am right behind someone at a light and kick them back on when moving, guess there are differences between some punk with fancy lights and a guy that has been modifying cars for 20 years, I have respect for others as long as they respect me and I take consideration for other drivers again.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, you can lead a horse to water...

Do what you like, it's your truck. Plenty of factual evidence out there to back up what I've said if you ever feel like looking.

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
Interior-wise go for it. Headlights are a no especially in these trucks. Unless you find some sort of aftermarket projector housing or build your own headlights. Otherwise everyone will hate you for blinding them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk