LED Gauge Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I seen alot of pictures but out of most of those pictures no one posted what they actually put into the gauges.

I didn't actually type in my post what I used because I figured the first picture I posted made it pretty obvious...

I used these...

You must be registered for see images attach

Blue WLED-HP5s.

Im looking for a good glow but not to overpowering to where it is blinding as i drive down the road. IE: The stock gauges dont catch my attention or glow on my face to where its blinding. So my question is, what LED's do most put in the guages? Im about to make a big order but want to get the right LED's for the gauges.

Seriously, it all comes down to preference. In a '99 Yukon I used to own, I tried the WLED-x1, x4, x5 and x6 (all in blue). Of those, the x6 were my choice. They had hot spots, but were the best for brightness for me. My blue HP5s I'm running now are much better than those x6s. They're brighter and light the cluster more evenly. They're also relatively pricier too. Those are MY choice. Your mileage may vary.

jdixon74

Reaction score
1BadGmc i've actually followed your posts alot as the top picture showed the bulbs you were using and then other posts you explained exactly the same with the HP5 & 6's etc.. appreciate all the info. Even read your post on your suburban (i have a 97 hoe) so it was interesting :) Nice work! How are the HP5's as far as brightness on the gauges? I was going to order 2 of those in cool white for the front floor boards as they do 360 degrees, but i was gonna do the WLED-x-x singles for the gauges, that is why i was wanting to see what others that posted pictures were using. I have bought the 1.5's before but only for the turn signals and bright light indicator (which were very bright) in my 95 z71 (i didn't do the gauges cause at the time, i noticed the twist locks were soldered).

There is one guy (forgot his userid) that posted on page 14 that had the billet dash pieces that used the blue led's and they looked good. I was curious does anyone know what he used in his gauges?

Last edited:

jdixon74

Reaction score
Hodges, I like this set up cause you got the white bulbs but since it has a blue tint it glows blue.. keeps the orange vibrant also with white needles. May have to consider finding an escalade gauge :)

Last edited:

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to do this to my truck but (I'm sure others will agree with me here) this thread has become a little confusing.

Does this list look about right?

Instrument Panel WLED-x-x 120º x 6
Door Lock NEO3 x 2
Window Switch NEO4 x 4
Transfer Case WLED-x-x 120º x 2
HVAC T1.5-WHP x 4
Headlight Switch NEO4-HP x 1

I was going to do blue but I remembered reading something about the blue making it hard to see when the 4x4 is engaged? Can you use blue for the illumination bulb and then use a white for the 4x4 indicator or something?

Does the Headlamp switch only need 1?

Also has anybody done this to the cargo lamp switch or the passenger air bag switch?

jdixon74

Reaction score
I want to do this to my truck but (I'm sure others will agree with me here) this thread has become a little confusing.

Does this list look about right?

Instrument Panel WLED-x-x 120º x 6
Door Lock NEO3 x 2
Window Switch NEO4 x 4
Transfer Case WLED-x-x 120º x 2
HVAC T1.5-WHP x 4
Headlight Switch NEO4-HP x 1

I was going to do blue but I remembered reading something about the blue making it hard to see when the 4x4 is engaged? Can you use blue for the illumination bulb and then use a white for the 4x4 indicator or something?

Does the Headlamp switch only need 1?

Also has anybody done this to the cargo lamp switch or the passenger air bag switch?

This looks good to me. And you are correct on Headlamp Switch, it only takes 1 Neo4 bulb. When you put a blue bulb in the 4x4 engaged area it tends to blend in with the surroundings so it doesnt show up to well. I have a blue for the all on light on the shifter and then a red bult for the engaged but white bulb will work also.

Has anyone tried the UV Bulbs for the Cab interior lights? If you put them in the gauges would they show up purple? Curious how they look i should of ordered some on this last order.

bigwavedave

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just put a red bulb in for the 4x4 engagement.

I still need to strip my needles and paint them red

Originally I did order the WLED-x-x (6 for the back lighting of the gauge cluster) but found the wedge type bulbs were soldered in. They were a pain to get out. Even though they were wedge type, I had to force them out with breaking chips of the bulb off and breaking the wire. Also, I had to put the wires off and wrap them around the edge so that there was conduction.

After considering my purchase, I placed another order through them and got the WLED-x5 (6) in natural white. And also 6 of the T10S-TW: 168/194 (WLED) Twist Lock Wedge Base Sockets because it looks as though you would get a better conduction and don't have to actually solder anything. I don't own a soldering gun but I seem to do any electrical work like a gorilla, hence my reasoning for placing a reorder.

Hey, if your gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

Last edited:

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I do it I'll just order one blue for the 4x4 and one red.

@bigwavedave is there a reason you switched to the x5 LEDs? I understand the twist lock issue but wouldn't the WLED-x-x work just fine with new twist locks?