Leaking non 4wd oil cooler adapter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Added the factory cooler from a 97 3500 to my 95. New lines from adapter to radiator, took the adapter completely apart and cleaned and resealed everything

I reassembled it how i THOUGHT it came apart. Mine had a stainless steel plate between the adapter and block, with a paper gasket on either side of the plate.

Now that i got the truck fired up tonight, it leaks like a mother from the block to adapter junction.

When i did the jo . I looked in both the factory service manual and the Chilton manual i have, and neither was specific on what seals and such should have been there. Im assuming i missed one, and don't know which because i didn't see it when taking it from the parts truck.

Does anyone have a good schematic of the various parts and seals and assembly order for these? All the references i find are to delete them from a 4x4, not add them to a 2wd.
If it makes a difference, mine keeps the filter vertical. Just slaces it down from the block and adds two hoses

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This site has the parts diagrams and may help. It’s buggy as hell since it’s loaded with ads and doesn’t always work, though.

https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/epc/chevrolet/

GM part numbers are in the right column.

This is for a 1995 L05 350 (assuming that’s what you have).

You must be registered for see images attach

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the L31, the bolts are only torqued to 18 ft-lbs. No idea what the spec was for the TBI, but it may be the same and something to consider (gasket crushed?)

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does it go together dry? Or rtv?

Picked up the dorman kit this morning, as the gaskets are already attached to the plate and look thicker.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would guess dry (the 98 manual doesn’t mention anything else) but have never had to mess with mine. If RTV was used, best practice would probably be to keep it dry until it set.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The square cut o-rings are like the one on the oil filter. Lightly oil them with 5/30 like you would a new filter.

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 95 manual made no mention of any sealant either. So i will redo it dry.

I will also make certain not to do dry o rings.

Any other tips? Ill take them all!

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I lube o-rings with the appropriate fluid and gaskets are installed dry except in specific situations like oil pan gasket corners or the ends of the intake manifold.

Ken