Larger mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
My 97 has small mirrors on the doors. I imagine there was an option for larger mirrors for the larger trucks, (2500, 3500)....a couple of questions

Mine are power mirrors.......Were power mirrors available in the larger size?

Also, were mirrors that extended available back then too?...I tow a 5th wheel and these tiny mirrors are not cutting it......want to avoid those strap on thingys

Dont want to spend a ton of money, so will be searching the junkyards

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You won't find these in junk yards probably but these are what most everyone runs.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?p=608137

Or you can modify dodge towing mirrors to fit. All these trucks got the same size mirrors though so no real cheap option out there really. The 800 style ones can be had for about $170/set in manual.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
"dumbo" chrome mirrors or the "Western style" bolt through the door skin mirrors are about the only OEM option for GMT 400's that tow.

Other than that, it's the retrofit GMT800 tow mirrors or adapt something like the flip out dodge towing mirrors. i went with the doge mirrors....

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Thanks guys.......saw the 800 mirror thread. Just thought there may be something cheaper. Will look into the Dodge option.....Dodges must be good for something, I guess....lol

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
GM never offered the D44 (black) or D45 (stainless) below eye-line mirrors (or as commonly described, "Dumbo" mirrors) as a towing option. The only true factory towing mirror were as BJ said the bolt through the door 3 or 4 point mount stainless mirrors. Neither were power.

GM did offer an accessory kit to upgrade the D45 stainless mirrors to power, but they are few and far between and still not a towing mirror.

CIPA made an extendable mirror that replaced the D44 or D45 mirror head, which worked ok but were pretty shaky. They are only about $30 a pair from the right retailer.

Here are a few pictures of them on my truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

My truck has had many mirrors.....

OEM "sport" mirrors

OEM D45 Stainless mirrors (what the truck came with)

Stainless CIPA

Power 95+ mirrors

GMT800 Towing

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
I guess mine are the sport mirrors.

BTW,what years are the Dodge mirrors from?

Last edited: