Base difference.... Another mirror thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mudpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to put some towing mirrors on my '96. I've found somebody selling a pair, and he says they fit 2000 and later trucks but won't fit his '97. I know the bases are different (but similar) between the 800 trucks and the 400's, but the difference isn't obvious to me. I tried searching and all I can find are threads talking about how aftermarket gmt800 mirrors are now available with gmt400 bases, but I can't find anything that says or shows what the actual difference is for the OE mirrors. Maybe my Google skills are just weak today, I don't know.
Can a pair of OE mirrors from the 800 be modified to fit decently? Guy is selling them cheap, so I'd like to grab them if they'll work.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to put some towing mirrors on my '96. I've found somebody selling a pair, and he says they fit 2000 and later trucks but won't fit his '97. I know the bases are different (but similar) between the 800 trucks and the 400's, but the difference isn't obvious to me. I tried searching and all I can find are threads talking about how aftermarket gmt800 mirrors are now available with gmt400 bases, but I can't find anything that says or shows what the actual difference is for the OE mirrors. Maybe my Google skills are just weak today, I don't know.
Can a pair of OE mirrors from the 800 be modified to fit decently? Guy is selling them cheap, so I'd like to grab them if they'll work.
Any thoughts appreciated.
He probably bought them thinking the same thing, EASY MOD, what the actual difference is between the two isn't really important. If you cant get them to bolt on they are of no use to you either, and you'll be reselling them at an even cheaper price point yet if you don 't fubar them, the door,or the door panels trying to mod them into fitting. Even the seller is telling you it's a no go. If they don't fit getting them for free is still not a deal,

Last edited:

mudpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I seem to recall reading somewhere a few different descriptions of the differences, but can't find anything that verifies what I'm recalling. I'm thinking it was a matter of one of the bolts not being in the same location, which I can fix with a drill bit, and that the base was shaped slightly differently so it left a gap. But I thought I'd read somewhere that it could be trimmed if one was really good with a dremel tool.
It's a work truck, so I really don't care too much. I'm not trying to make it pretty. I'm just trying to get some good rearward visibility for cheap money. If it needs to be modified, so be it, but if it is totally different and definitely won't fit, that's a whole other issue.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
gmt 400 mirrors sit in a very pronounced triangular shaped recess partially comprised of the window track. Later models go on through a stamped recess section of outer door skin. If it was easily do-able the info would be all over. You might get it bolted on, whtherit's wobblyshakey because it won't sit flush with the door supporting it is another story.