l31 vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I was talking about rebuilding yours yourself. Its not hard at all but if you are more comfortable and have the funding, the long block is the way to go. That way you get new heads, all you do is slap your whole intake on it and set it in there. I was also wondering about if its a long block. If so, not a bad price.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If they are definitely something I'll be looking into. Anyone got an estimate for an install?

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And I figured I'd throw this out there, the main reason I'm wanting to swap is because (you'll probably think I'm retarded trying yo explain this) say I crank it up monday morning. It'll run like a 350 vortec is supposed to. I crank it up Tuesday and it runs like, well let's say I couldn't win in a street race against a minivan. Can anyone tell me why my performance varies so greatly?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Then you have a fuel-related or electrical (sensors, grounds, etc.) problem, not a mechanical problem with the engine. You don't need a rebuild or replacement if it's still capable of running properly sometimes.

Best to start a new thread on troubleshooting what's wrong with your truck, because replacing your engine isn't likely necessary at all.

Richard

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would have to agree. The issue you are having has nothing to do with the engine it self. You need to go through all the trouble shooting to find the issue. A new long block will not fix the problem. It is ether fuel or electrical. A fuel pressure test would be a good place to start.
Then you have a fuel-related or electrical (sensors, grounds, etc.) problem, not a mechanical problem with the engine. You don't need a rebuild or replacement if it's still capable of running properly sometimes.

Best to start a new thread on troubleshooting what's wrong with your truck, because replacing your engine isn't likely necessary at all.

Richard

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I started a new thread, and I'm not sure I'd this is relevant, and I'll put this don't the new thread, but when it runs poorly the radio tends not to work, and the ticking in the heads generally gets louder.

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I started a new thread, and I'm not sure I'd this is relevant, and I'll put this don't the new thread, but when it runs poorly the radio tends not to work, and the ticking in the heads generally gets louder.

I think you need to call in the Ghost Busters. My weirdest electrical issue was the "Service 4wd" light coming on when the fan was on 1 or 3. Not off or 2.

Good luck!

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's an electrical bundle that goes from the ignition switch to somewhere near the firewall. It was failing and causing very erratic issues.