knockout plates gone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duanes7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the upper A arm off as part of a ball joint change and was wanting to make sure the knock out plates are removed.

Can anyone tell from this picture if they are?

The interior bolts holes are mostly round with a couple of slits going inward and outward.

Attachments

• balljoints (6).jpg
    balljoints (6).jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 50
  • balljoints (7).jpg
    balljoints (7).jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As long as both holes on that bracket and the other bracket look like that, they are gone.

duanes7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't remove the control arm just to change the ball joint. I removed the control arm to see if the plates were gone. It also allowed me to move the knuckle hub enough to get the half shaft to pull out. Couldn't get a ratchet and socket onto the upper ball joint nut with the half shaft still attached.

Yeah, lotsa rust on this truck. I have some concerns about it. Only time will tell...

Fortunately this isn't a daily driver. This is just to get me to work on bad weather days. I ride my bike the rest of the time.

I'm sure I'll stress it off road some too. If it breaks it breaks.

Last edited:

duanes7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just posted a pic of the inner hole. So this does not have the knock out plates gone?

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
nope the knockouts are still there. couldn't remember exactly, since I did mine years ago, but I thought it was only on one side of the mount bracket. The front and back holes of both brackets need to look like the first picture you posted.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

this is what my 97 looks like. obviously mine were already gone. BUT my truck is a 2wd so not sure if they are different or not since yours is clearly a 4wd but it doesnt look like anything can be knocked out from your picture.