Mechanical Water Temp Gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarKist

Reaction score
I’m installing a autometer mechanical water temp gauge in my CC in the A pillar pod, I’m going to put it in the drivers side head. My question is what to do with the factory sending unit wiring that goes to both heads, I want to keep the one on the passenger side so my factory gauge still works. Do I wire it in with the passenger side?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have a temp sender in each head, left and right?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m installing a autometer mechanical water temp gauge... ...I’m going to put it in the drivers side head.
Probably a mistake.

My question is what to do with the factory sending unit wiring that goes to both heads, I want to keep the one on the passenger side so my factory gauge still works. Do I wire it in with the passenger side?
The sending unit in the left cylinder head is for the gauge--the sending unit you want to remove to put in the mechanical gauge.

The sending unit in the right-side head is almost certainly for the auxiliary fan. Don't screw with that one.

FIND ANOTHER PORT to put the aftermarket gauge into. Depending on the application, this may not be convenient; and you'll have to assure it's in a "hot" part of the water jacket, not on the "cool" side--or on the wrong side of the thermostat so it only works when the engine has warmed-up.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A mechanical water temp gauge refers to the type with bulb and tubing that functions like liquid thermometer.
Or are installing an electric temp sender as you stated " wiring it into the left head " , that would be an electric water temp gauge. What do you have?