Knocking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
As I mentioned, the rod bearings are replaced.
So I guess that the only way to find that out is a engine removal...

Since this noise comes from under the engine, I thought is could be possible that it is the flexplate... but that was only a hope ;-)

A flexplate that is broken can make knocking noises, however not as deep as a rod knock, higher in frequency.

fuschnicker

Reaction score
Yes. Same noise before and after I replaced the bearings. Not better. I just thought it is gone away for second but then I heard it again

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
What were the visual observations of the original bearings? If you have pictures that would be great.

fuschnicker

Reaction score
There is just a picture of all. Not in correct order

Engine has 200.000mls

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Excellent. From outwards appearances, they were in need of replacement. Looking at the rear of two of the bearing shells, it looks like they had foreign particles between the shell and the connecting rod bore.

Here's a link to diagnosis of bearing conditions:

http://darkside.ca/tech/CL77-3-402.pdf

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
So I decided to pull the engine out and replace the parts. What do you suggest? All pistons new? Or just piston and rod for cylinder 1
You could probably get by with only changin one piston and rod, but it could throw the motor off balance. While its out you might as well just completely rebuild it. Sbcs are cheap as hell to rebuild and theyre pretty forgiving with clearances and torque specs. I built my first motor about a month ago and it still runs lol so thats proof anyone can do it!

fuschnicker

Reaction score
Them it makes more sense to take a complete rebuild kit.

Besides that, are there any big things to know about if I take out the engine? That's my first time doing that