Knocking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fuschnicker

Reaction score
Hi all,

Long story, short version...

I had a part fallen into Zylinder 1.
After that, a noise starts coming up. I replaced intake manifold gaskets and also head gaskets. Also new connection rod bearings. After all the noise is still there. From above the engine I can hear almost nothing. When I am under the oil pan, the noise is the loudest.

What can it be? Main bearings?

Dirk

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

GL1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did any of the rod bearings or journal surfaces look different from the others? Did you measure all the journals to make sure they were within specs?

Not that it makes any difference at this point, but did you figure out what fell into the cylinder to cause that damage?

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Looks like your piston has beat the **** out of whatever you dropped into the cylinder. Id make sure you dont have a bent connecting rod.

Breakdown

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn... brings a new way to shot-peen your engine.... check your rods and bearings, that had to bend something or wear something out

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What does the inside of the cylinder look like? It's gotta be marred to hell. Seems like cylinder damage alone would require motor to come out anyways.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
What does the inside of the cylinder look like? It's gotta be marred to hell. Seems like cylinder damage alone would require motor to come out anyways.
Eh. Depending on how the cylinder wall looks he might be able to hone it out, slap a new rod and piston in and call it a day. It would probably be easier just to pull the motor at this point though.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Long story, short version...

I had a part fallen into Zylinder 1.
After that, a noise starts coming up. I replaced intake manifold gaskets and also head gaskets. Also new connection rod bearings. After all the noise is still there. From above the engine I can hear almost nothing. When I am under the oil pan, the noise is the loudest.

What can it be? Main bearings?

Dirk

You must be registered for see images

Ouch. The noise you are hearing is likely a bearing, possibly a bent connecting rod with a deformed large end.

fuschnicker

Reaction score
As I mentioned, the rod bearings are replaced.
So I guess that the only way to find that out is a engine removal...

Since this noise comes from under the engine, I thought is could be possible that it is the flexplate... but that was only a hope ;-)

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Q. Was the crankshaft measured for journal diameter? It is common to find undersize journals if the engine has been overhauled. Thicker bearings are available in common sizes.

Q. Were the connecting rod caps torqued in place and the roundness of the bearing bore measured before bearing installation?