Keep the 14 bolt or swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruckinThruTEXAS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm in need of advice and opinions. This passed Christmas and New Year break I got straight to working on my project. Fixed the timing on my recently rebuilt engine fired the thing right up and took it for a run for the first time since i bought it, may I add its a 94 ext 3/4 ton I trailed the truck home not knowing if the engine or trans were good but I bought it anyway since was cheap. Anyway took it for a drive and reverse is nearly working, won't go into second unless i let of the gas, 3rd and 4th are gone...well I'm now about to pull the trans and get that rebuilt.
Anyway I noticed I have a biga$$ 14 bolt what's it good for here for city driving? I know it's pretty darn heavy and good for torque but I won't be hauling anything close to what these are rated for. I dont know my current gas mileage either but I'm debating on a 12 bolt if it will get better gas mileage? This will just be a cruiser btw what do you guys suggest? Am I over thinking it?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Even IF a 12 bolt gives you better gas mileage, it will take years to actually break even on the investment of changing it.... Just keep it

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definitely keep the 14 bolt why anyone would want to downgrade I can't understand. Worst case change out the gears to something more friendly to fuel mileage but the actual rear end itself wouldn't have much if any bearing on fuel mileage.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
No, just trade me your 14 bolt for my 10 bolt...

:jester:

But seriously, keep the 14.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
If you are that worried about gas mileage, why did you buy a 3/4 ton?

how about selling the truck and getting a 1/2 ton?

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
If you are that worried about gas mileage, why did you buy a 3/4 ton?

how about selling the truck and getting a 1/2 ton?

That would be a good alternative. You could probably get a nice 96+ vortec 305 1/2 ton for strait up trade. Enough power with great fuel economy.

TruckinThruTEXAS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys I thought the swap would actually lead to noticeably better mileage. Again that's why I come and ask lol

Definitely keep the 14 bolt why anyone would want to downgrade I can't understand. Worst case change out the gears to something more friendly to fuel mileage but the actual rear end itself wouldn't have much if any bearing on fuel mileage.

What gear ratios would you suggest? Ill look into that.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lots of variables go into making an informed choice on gears.

What tire size
2wd vs 4wd
City or Hwy driving
Weight towed if towed
Ect

If you have a 14 bolt FF its remarkably easy and affordable to change gears in.