K1500 frame splice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I think it'd be easier at the factory seam. It would also retain the factory appearance.

You need to jig it though.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the rear is rusted out and you're going through that much effort to fix just the rear, replace the whole frame IMHO. Mine rusted out and I back-halved it a few years ago. About a 1-2 years after I back-halved it, the rust started to pop the plates off from the old and new frame where they were spliced. Welded two plates on the frame, both inside and outside, and one plate on the bottom of the frame. Frame started flexing like no tomorrow. I'm convinced it would have broke if I kept driving it.

So my advice, is there's rust anywhere ( and I'm guessing there is from your first post ) find a good southern frame and replace the whole thing. IMHO.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is how you want to do your frame splice. Notch cut like this.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll just leave this right here....lol..
You must be registered for see images attach

But in all seriousness. Either do it at the factory split, do as mentioned in the video (only if you have the skill, and be honest as those welds will effect others lives to), or the best bet is replace the whole frame...

sent from what use to be a great country...

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I've shortened a few, it's not that hard. But again, I would replace the entire frame befoe I replaced 80% of a frame

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
damn thats rough looking,i'm located in mass myself my buddy runs a yard located in walpole I can look into what he has there for frames they buy alot of gmt400's there and do have some solid ones there

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Finally removed the bed for this project -------
You must be registered for see images attach
Man, I thought my frame was bad! I'm doing a complete frame swap for my project, mine was rotted out in the front where the sway bar brackets attach on both sides, and also under the driver's cab where it meets the bed. I can reach under and flex the lower lip of the frame with my hand, and can't even jack it up there because it folds right up

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
Honestly why go through all the effort when you can swap in a whole frame? Thats what I would do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk