K1500 frame splice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudslinger

Reaction score
I'm preparing to replace my rusted rear frame section on a K1500 regular cab shortbed. Has anyone here tried splitting the factory seam on each side (located just about under the firewall) and sliding the new rails in? Just wondering if it comes apart without too much damage. thanks--

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I can't say that I have seen anyone do that. Are you referring to the area just under your feet where the frame goes from boxed to C-Channel? Is you're rusted up there also? I think to keep thing's simple, I'd probably leave as much original frame as possible.

If that's the area I'm thinking about, you'd be into cab mounts and everything else. I'd swap the whole frame before I swapped 80% of it, IMO.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
not worth it, ended up just sqaure stocking the back half of the old red truck. one truck we solid axled we grafted a squarebody front end too. wasnt the easiest or best looking but worked. as far as rear plenty of people shorten long beds or do frame mods enough to where it can be done.

Mudslinger

Reaction score
yeah, it's where the c-channel goes into the boxed. I'm using an extended cab frame so it has to be cut somewhere. Looks like it may be a bit tricky getting that joint apart.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
yeah, it's where the c-channel goes into the boxed. I'm using an extended cab frame so it has to be cut somewhere. Looks like it may be a bit tricky getting that joint apart.
Just cut the rear part you need off.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
years ago I did the frame on my 76 chevy I had,I bought a full rolling chassis from a guy with a 12" superlift it was a k-5 blazer frame we cut it rolled it out to the wheelbase length that was needed cut two straight sections out of the old frame to fill in where we stretched it on both sides then used c channel that fit over existing frame rails went about a foot past each weld and drilled and bolted it with 1/2" grade 8 bolts nice and solid when it was done.

Mudslinger

Reaction score
Just cut the rear part you need off.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm going to cut the rear part off to the measured length but need to prepare my existing truck's front frame in order for the rear section to slide in. ...not sure if that joint is spot welded together or just has a few beads holding it on the edges.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
I don't think we're on the same page here.

I'm saying, if you just need the rear, and by rear, I mean, behind the cab, then ONLY cut the part you need from the donor. It won't matter if it's ext cab or not. I would recommend completely forgetting about the joint under the firewall, and only patch the part you need.

Mudslinger

Reaction score
I don't think we're on the same page here.

I'm saying, if you just need the rear, and by rear, I mean, behind the cab, then ONLY cut the part you need from the donor. It won't matter if it's ext cab or not. I would recommend completely forgetting about the joint under the firewall, and only patch the part you need.

Mudslinger

Reaction score
Yeah, I hear you on that point. ......just thought the fabrication work would be easier.
You must be registered for see images attach