K&n cai caused oil leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
I understand! I have checked the tube a few times, it felt oil free and no dust. But, I haven't really got to drive it to far because as soon as I put it on, a day later I got this crazy leak lol. I've used other cai's with no issues, but this is my first K&n. Thanks to all!

Then the air filter is not the issue. FYI they are all the same setup. Brand is the preference. Let's continue our focus on finding the source. Once you fine it then we can focus on finding a solution.

Claybraham

Reaction score
Welp as of right now my truck isn't leaking any oil! I put intake gaskets on it. Thanks for the help everyone, I hope it lasts lol

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welp as of right now my truck isn't leaking any oil! I put intake gaskets on it. Thanks for the help everyone, I hope it lasts lol

Glad to hear it! Nice work!

C30454

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know what to do here. My first post after the introduction forum, and I don't want to rattle any cages.........yet. Oh what the Hell.

As a 34 year professional Master ASE auto tech, I will say this. Most of the worst condition motors (trashed pistons, rings, and bores) I have ever seen all had K&N CAI systems and filters on them. Now I can't say if it was because the filters were improperly maintained as recommended by K&N, or if they are junk by design. But good paper filters are fairly idiot proof and maintenance free during their use, and K&N's require maintenance that most never follow through with.

Personally, based on repeated observations through many years, I wouldn't put a K&N on a dead Chinese lawn mower to sell to my worst enemy.

But it didn't cause the OP's oil leak.

I hope I wasn't too opinionated for a first post. ;)
(Actually, I don't care) :)

Tom

Claybraham

Reaction score
What if you follow through with the maintenance that K&n filters require? If one couldn't maintain the filter when recommended, I would say they shouldn't be tinkering with anything, not even dead Chinese mowers.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What if you follow through with the maintenance that K&n filters require?

Like I mentioned earlier, I've had issues with brand new K&Ns bleeding filter oil into the intake tube. Proper maintenance or not, I don't trust them on my trucks.