K&n cai caused oil leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Claybraham

Reaction score
It's just weird lol. I put a new pcv int it, filter on my valve cover, and still it leaks like crazy. Guess I'll be putting new intake gaskets on it Thanks for all the help guys!

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
Maybe I miss read something here. I been running K&n for years. I have had no problems associated with them. I started using them due to the amount of dust my 1993 gmc 1500 5.7 and my 2007 gmc 1500 5.3 was ingesting. I disagree calling them garbage. I do agree that the original intake box and doughnut filter is better with a K&N filter replacing the stock paper one. I use the stock boxes on them. From my experiences with the GMT 400 platforms the gaskets leak often. especially the rear 2 piece main seal. when I went to the rubber reusable gaskets on the valve covers that stopped all leaking from the top of the engine. I still have oil leaking down the sides of both my primary transmission (NV4500 MW3 from a 2004 GMC 3500) and my secondary transmission (gearvendors under/overdrive). if you are having oil in the throttle body, you might want to look at the hoses coming from the valve covers. Take a real good look at the left bank. There is a collar that was under your original round filter intake. if there is oil on to of the intake manifold then I would look at the valve cover gaskets. if its from your transmission bell housing then your rear main seal. when you change your gaskets use the rubber. I have had good luck with them and have reused them. saved a lot of headaches. I have been working on the 88-98 GMT 400 pickups for years. The only real reoccurring problems I have was the rear main seal. If the oil is on top of the then check the blow by from the left bank going into the TB from the backside. Mine currently is doing the same thing right now. that's where the oil is coming from. if it was the air filter, it would have to come from the filter that replaces stock, if it was that one, then you used too much charge oil and it. Since its the cone and most likely out of the box then you shouldn't have any residue from the filter. to prove this, take the filter off and run your fingers in the tube. There would be oil residue there if the oil is coming from the air filter. But I would bet you $100 bucks its not the K&N. Note: I don't bet on something unless I know for sure. But hey, what do I know, I am just a seasoned engineer.

Claybraham

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Since I have replaced the pcv, valve cover gaskets, distributor gasket, I rubbed some rtv along the back side of my intake where it meets the block just for now to see if that would help any thing. But I STILL have oil running down the the passenger side of the transmission, all over the starter. Before the leaking problem I put a new clutch in it, replaced rear main since I was that close and the oil pan gasket. I guess my next thing to do is replace the intake gaskets, if that doesn't fix it idk what to do lol. There's no oil on the intake just the back side of the Motor and down

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Since I have replaced the pcv, valve cover gaskets, distributor gasket, I rubbed some rtv along the back side of my intake where it meets the block just for now to see if that would help any thing. But I STILL have oil running down the the passenger side of the transmission, all over the starter. Before the leaking problem I put a new clutch in it, replaced rear main since I was that close and the oil pan gasket. I guess my next thing to do is replace the intake gaskets, if that doesn't fix it idk what to do lol. There's no oil on the intake just the back side of the Motor and down

Did you have a two piece main seal or 1?

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
I have the same issue but not worried about it since I'm soon to do my 6.0L 402 swap.

Claybraham

Reaction score
It's a one piece seal. I don't think it's the rear main though. Idk. I'm doing intake gaskets today to see if that fixes it. That's the only other thing I think it could be. Any other ideas are much appreciated!

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
Before you go through the trouble of doing that try washing the oil off first and keep an eye on it to see if you see it running from somewhere. If not drive it for a couple miles and see if there is a change. Don't want you to go through all of that for no reason.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe I miss read something here. I been running K&n for years. I have had no problems associated with them. I started using them due to the amount of dust my 1993 gmc 1500 5.7 and my 2007 gmc 1500 5.3 was ingesting. I disagree calling them garbage.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

It's pretty well known that oiled gauze filters are terrible at actually filtering anything. Sure, they flow better, but 99% of us don't need that extra flow and won't gain anything from it. What you do gain with a K&N however is the ability to foul your MAF up with filter oil. I've had this happen with both the conical filter on my FIPK and a drop in filter for the factory box. And before you say I over oiled them, it happened with brand new filters right out of the box.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but personally I think K&N products are a great way to waste money and let more dirt into your engine.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Clean the area of concern with carb or brake clean, dust it with caulk from a carpenters caulk line and start the engine. Where the clean spot starts is where the leak is.

Claybraham

Reaction score
I already pulled the intake. The intake bolts was hardly even torqued down. I didn't get it back together yet though, I have 3 kids so it's pretty busy around here lol. I hope it fixes my leak! Thanks to all for the ideas and suggestions! I go back to work tomorrow so it will be Monday before I get it back together