Just a wanderer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Drivin my 98 to town other day n noticed steering seemed to wonder. the shop in town did my, my buddys, and moms escalade alignments.
1. My 1998 k1500 "Huck" 32x11.5x15 on k5 15x8 rallies. New uppers, believe newer tierods since it hasnt moved in basically 2 yrs and evo delete.
2. My friends 97 Sierra z71. 265/75/16s on cragar 16x8 soft8s with close to factory offset n new tierods n evo delete
3. Moms 2000 escalade with stock chrome 16s n stock sized cooper 265/70/16s n new control arms n evo unplugged.

All 3 seem to need steering wheel aimed slightly left to run straight. I had a similar issue with my 91 caprice on 17" ss wheels with 255/50/17s where it was so wide it didnt "fit" the grooves that had been wore into the road. Least that was the conclusion we all came to on the SS forum but my main road to town is freshly repaved n still doeasnt have the grooves like u can see after it rains.

Anyways just pulled Huck in to check tierods n ball joints. No play in balljoints, very little play in the tierods that im chalkin up to the multiple joints in the steering design. Waitin on a helper cuz a 2nd set of eyes is a good idea.

Now im debating takin it to the other shop who had zero issues with alignin my lowered, skirted 91 caprice. Or just deal with it? Anyone on a wider stance experienced similar issues with trackin? I wouldnt think all 3 trucks with different wheel/tire combos, and varied mileage would all pull identical.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Update, think my box is bad. Lot orf movement up at wheel n pitman arm barely moved. If i hadn't stared at it i wouldnt have seen how little movement it had. Guess its time for a box on mine n redhead is out of the question since i cant swing it.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just finished my front end rebuild a week ago and I have an inch or two of dead space in my steering. Everything in the front suspension and steering is new, except for... the steering box. I know on the old first-gen RX-7 boxes you could adjust the steering sector shaft and get them to tighten up, but you had to do it just right or you'd crack your box. I haven't even looked into how to adjust our boxes, but I'm pretty sure I'm just going to pony up for a Redhead box... after I spend small fortunes on a new A/C system, a Holley distributor, and a stereo.

A home rebuild might be worth looking into.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
I just finished my front end rebuild a week ago and I have an inch or two of dead space in my steering. Everything in the front suspension and steering is new, except for... the steering box. I know on the old first-gen RX-7 boxes you could adjust the steering sector shaft and get them to tighten up, but you had to do it just right or you'd crack your box. I haven't even looked into how to adjust our boxes, but I'm pretty sure I'm just going to pony up for a Redhead box... after I spend small fortunes on a new A/C system, a Holley distributor, and a stereo.

A home rebuild might be worth looking into.
Im probly just gonna do a rockauto deal for now. Think a cardone is $100 or so. I can lose that for a couple months n not worry if the truck will stay straight without sawin at the wheel. Was on redheads page yeaterday n couldn't find a box for gmt400s.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This looks like it, but it might be worth giving them a call

For the effort involved, I’d either save up for a good one or try doing a rebuild like Erik mentioned.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FIRST, check the rag joint, which has been an epidemic problem.

SECOND, why will no one look in the service manual for the TWO adjustments on the steering box? Everyone wants to adjust only the easy one, or just replace the box.

Third: If multiple vehicles need the steering wheel angled to the left to drive straight, I'm guessing the alignment shop isn't compensating for road crown. But it could just be toe adjustment.

Fourth: if you've got play in the tie rod ends, you need to replace worn parts. Make sure the "tie rod play" isn't idler arm or Pitman arm.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
FIRST, check the rag joint, which has been an epidemic problem.

SECOND, why will no one look in the service manual for the TWO adjustments on the steering box? Everyone wants to adjust only the easy one, or just replace the box.

Third: If multiple vehicles need the steering wheel angled to the left to drive straight, I'm guessing the alignment shop isn't compensating for road crown. But it could just be toe adjustment.

Fourth: if you've got play in the tie rod ends, you need to replace worn parts. Make sure the "tie rod play" isn't idler arm or Pitman arm.
1. Rag joints good.

2. Lookin up service instructions while im on the throne.

3. Crown. Thats word i couldnt remember.

4. Im gonna double check it all again today.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rag joint on my '88 "looked" good. Wasn't ripped, fabric wasn't frayed.

Then I looked at the metal bits. I could see that the safety stops were polished from contact; the rag had become so flimsy that the safety stops were clanging against each other.

I don't have a good photo of what I'm talking about. Sorry.

Scrapping the lower steering shaft including the rag joint, and installing the U-jointed shaft and longer bolt from a C3500 made a world of difference. I don't have to saw the steering wheel back and forth to keep a straight line.

This doesn't work on vehicles with an airbag on the steering column; the shaft on those is jointed differently.

You must be registered for see images attach