Junkyard 5.7 upgrade flaming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zach94k1500

Reaction score
Okay so i posted a thread a few months back about me trying to fix my 94 k15 with a chevy 305 in it. I had done so much work to it but it ended up having a combination of a bad oil pump and bad valves (likely related) and ended up replacing the engine entirely with a junkyard 350. I just got finished putting it in and cranked it over, it fired right up! Yaay.. but it sounds a little funny... like it has a dead miss.. hrm walk around the truck and nearly **** myself because its flaming up straight from the intake. So this motor was owned by my local fire department, and according to the junkyard it was driven there to be junked.. seemed like a safe bet, but some guy had taken the hood off this vehicle prior to me buying the engine. So im guessing an intake valve must be stuck open from rust. The question is how to proceed??? If the valve is stuck open then how is the engine not seized?? Will I have compression issues? Hrm.. should i just rubber mallet the valves and see if one pops back up?? I mean the engine is under warranty.. but i wont get alot of things back, like gaskets oil and time

Lanny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well you can try and find which valve is stuck. Worst situation see if you can get a penetrating oil around the valve and rocker. If you cant free it up then It might be worth contacting the junkyard and seeing about the warranty.

zach94k1500

Reaction score
Just a quick update. I just went back out and took a flathead screwdriver and placed it directly over the keepers on the rocker arms and tapped the back of it with a hammer mildly but hard enough to let the valve briefly open and close inside the combustion chamber. The audible clang remained the same for all cylinders so that is pretty good news.. the issue is how am i getting flames then??? I have had a burnt intake valve before and it didnt flame up at all. It just had crap compression. Blah.. could it really just be timing? Too far advanced or retarded to the point of actually running but having valves open??