Jet dynamic spectrum tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a 99 454/4L80 that I put in a truck that I flipped and that was a charm to drive. It always locked right back up with no hesitation.

Can you look at the 1500 tune with your efi live and see what is different?

Maybe it isn't even in the tune - maybe some wear item is worn inside of our trans??

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Can you look at the 1500 tune with your efi live and see what is different?

Maybe it isn't even in the tune - maybe some wear item is worn inside of our trans??

I don't think it's in the trans, even though the trans needs gone through. If I turn the cruise on and hit set it locks right up under the same conditions it refuses to lock with the cruise off. And the TCC parameters are WAY more aggressive with the cruise off than on. It's something in the background for sure. I think I'll just move some calibration stuff over to the 1500 tune and dump that into the dually. Been meaning to do that for a while now.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ordered this from Summit. I had sent blackbear an email asking if they could make some changes to my tune/asking for a total cost. Even though I paid for lifetime changes, I was willing to now pay them to make changes. They didn't reply. I have had them tune 4 (maybe more?) trucks over the years. No more.

Now the fun begins...

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today I got a reply from BB stating that they could make my changes for free. Either they read these forums, or one of you is feeding them info...
I have started completely over on a couple of vehicles tuned by him, the owners could not be happier. One had 3 different 4L60Es die quickly on his tuning. Way too little torque management left in the tuning in the upshift torque management table, commanded shift times ZERO'd out(actually equates to ZERO TQ management, zero timing retard during the shifts observed), and the truck was running pig rich with nearly -20% long term fuel trims as well as constant knock retard. This was a stock cam truck as well, with shorty headers and exhaust as the only mods. I happen to have the HP Tuners file of that tune as well as a couple of datalogs from that tune saved on my laptop. I flashed the PCM with the newest stock GM tune and started over. Nearly 40K later, towing heavy trailers all the time his 60E is still holding up. Mail order is what it is, does not come close to in person tuning, but those tunes were not safe for the vehicle at all. If anything a 4L60E truck needs more torque management not less, especially as its power is increased. My typical 4L60E tune has 40% torque reduction for 0.300 second commanded shift time on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, makes them shift far quicker/firmer/better than stock because the friction surfaces can actually bite better with the reduced engine torque output and actually hold up. If he did this, people with V6s would not be shredding 4L60Es in 20k miles. I know of a member on this board that also had 2 different 4L60Es croak behind a BB tuned 4.3L and now has a 4L80E in said truck. BB also made a claim to counter an observation I made years ago on thermostat and operating temperature. Blasted me for the fact I found a L31 to make more power when it ran cooler than 210F. It knocked 3 tenths off the van going with a 160F thermostat running about 176F at the hottest, where he claimed a 195F made more power running at 210F. On a hot summer day at 210F my L31 would not get out of its own way.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No 4L80 stays locked when you lift
Mine did on the stock 2002 van tune I used for the 80E segment swap as long as I was above 45 mph. I think the trans tune I segment swapped was out of an 8.1L though. If memory serves me correctly, I had the 8.1L/4L80E tune at the time, but could not find a 5.7L/4L80E tune when I 4L80E swapped mine. I made that change 10 years ago though. My current trans segment is from a 2005 6.0L van. It also stays locked when I lift. Over 45 mph they will stay locked, under 45 they will unlock. Stock TCC lockup was way too early for my setup though. I now do not engage lockup until ~55 mph in 4th.

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found another VATS related option in the tune for my dad's '06 3500, which I believe might actually be the one to look for to disable VATS entirely.

If you go to Constants>System Parameters and scroll down about halfway, you'll see a slider labeled "VATS (0=Serial, 1=PWM, 2=None)." In my case it's set to 0 (Serial) by default. I looked this one up in the "Calibration Parameter Help" directory, which is proving to be very handy. Here's what it says about this parameter:

"This constant specifies what type of Vehicle Anti-Theft System is installed.

0 - Serial VATS
1 - Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) VATS
2 - No VATS

This constant should be set to 2 to disable the VATS."

Where as the option I found previously (Switches>Calibration Options>VATS Fail-Enabled Option check box) has this very limited description in "Calibration Parameter Help":

"This switch enables/disables the theft fail-enabled mode."

Seems to me that the fail-enabled check box is probably intended as a quick troubleshooting tool that will enable the vehicle to start even if the VATS signal is not what it should be, and the VATS slider in Constants>System Parameters is what you want to use to disable the VATS permanently. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I'm getting. At least for this vehicle.

@df2x4, I looked for the Constant "VATS (0=Serial, 1=PWM, 2=None)" in my 1998 L31 Suburban's stock tune using DST v2.32, and that Constant isn't there.

It might be an artifact of the 2006 GMT800 tune you were examining.

I mention this for other readers' benefit.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IM not so sure about the zero TM killing transmissions. Ive got several 4l60Es with 250k miles on them with zero TM and such. But i spent time dialing in the pressures with a gauge and such.
My dads truck has 273k miles on the stock 4l60 and i tuned it when it only had about 24k miles on it.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IM not so sure about the zero TM killing transmissions. Ive got several 4l60Es with 250k miles on them with zero TM and such. But i spent time dialing in the pressures with a gauge and such.
My dads truck has 273k miles on the stock 4l60 and i tuned it when it only had about 24k miles on it.
Its probably a later LS variant. Those engines make less torque and the later transmissions are stronger.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know of a member on this board that also had 2 different 4L60Es croak behind a BB tuned 4.3L and now has a 4L80E in said truck.

It's me! I'm that weirdo.

@df2x4, I looked for the Constant "VATS (0=Serial, 1=PWM, 2=None)" in my 1998 L31 Suburban's stock tune using DST v2.32, and that Constant isn't there.

It might be an artifact of the 2006 GMT800 tune you were examining.

I'd say you're probably right. That's the only PCM I've scanned so far so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I still haven't had a chance to scan either of my '97s, not that there would be any VATS parameters in those anyway. I've got the Suburban in the garage right now, hopefully going to scan it and do some little things next week like disable the speed limiter.