Hp tuner efi live license question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What do they call that? EFILive calls that a stream license.
So EFI Live ties the License to the Serial number of the processor on the board.
You an change the VIN all you want and that doesn't matter.

Back in the day they had the option to put 2 processors in the PCM so you could turn ign off, flip a switch and fire it back up and be on your 2nd tune. But you had to license each processor.

EFI LIve Stream license is for the PCM itself. LS1A, LS1B, E38 and such where when you buy the stream license your good for that PCM of any year.
Ive got the LS1B (1999-2007) and E38 (2007.5-2015) Stream license so it has paid for itself several times over since the V2 interface is only good for 221? License.

HPT only has "unlimited license" for say a 2002 Silverado. and it only works for that truck for that year.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So EFI Live ties the License to the Serial number of the processor on the board.

Back in the day they had the option to put 2 processors in the PCM so you could turn ign off, flip a switch and fire it back up and be on your 2nd tune. But you had to license each processor.

EFI LIve Stream license is for the PCM itself. LS1A, LS1B, E38 and such where when you buy the stream license your good for that PCM of any year.
Ive got the LS1B (1999-2007) and E38 (2007.5-2015) Stream license so it has paid for itself several times over since the V2 interface is only good for 221? License.

HPT only has "unlimited license" for say a 2002 Silverado. and it only works for that truck for that year.
So you can get a stream lisence for 0411, p59, e38 etc and then tune as many of those pcm's as you want? And thanks for the reply. Trying to figure out the lisence stuff is confusing. Really helps when someone with exp chimes in

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

I would hope the unlimited HPT license is significantly cheaper than EFILive's.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you can get a stream lisence for 0411, p59, e38 etc and then tune as many of those pcm's as you want? And thanks for the reply. Trying to figure out the lisence stuff is confusing. Really helps when someone with exp chimes in
Back in the day you could with EFI. But now you cant.
But yes the way it worked was when you apply the stream license to the V2 interface you can flash away. Unlimited number of PCMs for that license.
For instance ill turn the vats off for guys if they bring me the pcm for $50.
Enable electric fans for $50.
Small things like that for a reasonable amount to help them get going.

HPT has some very confusing credit system. Ive only bought a few credits from them so really havent looked too far into it.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hopefully one of y'all can help me. I'm trying to bring a 99 Tahoe back to life. Stock heads, injection, mercuiser cam, JBA shorty headers. Will the factory ecm have any issues adapting to the set up. Eventually I want to try and learn tuning. Been studying and it's starting to make a bit of sense, but for now I'd like to be sure I won't hurt anything. Funds are limited.
Thanks in advance.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hopefully one of y'all can help me. I'm trying to bring a 99 Tahoe back to life. Stock heads, injection, mercuiser cam, JBA shorty headers. Will the factory ecm have any issues adapting to the set up. Eventually I want to try and learn tuning. Been studying and it's starting to make a bit of sense, but for now I'd like to be sure I won't hurt anything. Funds are limited.
Thanks in advance.

So a stock engine with a ramjet cam and shorty headers on a Vortec based truck? Not seeing a problem here. It'll run fine, but even a BONE STOCK truck gets a real kick in the pants with a tune. Tune was my very first (and arguably most significant) single mod, and at that time my truck was as bone stock as they get. So you'll not have drivability issues, but there will be an as-ston of torque on the table.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So a stock engine with a ramjet cam and shorty headers on a Vortec based truck? Not seeing a problem here. It'll run fine, but even a BONE STOCK truck gets a real kick in the pants with a tune. Tune was my very first (and arguably most significant) single mod, and at that time my truck was as bone stock as they get. So you'll not have drivability issues, but there will be an as-ston of torque on the table.
Thanks! I definitely want to get into tuning this truck. Just trying to understand all the acronyms is giving me a headache. :) I'd read a couple of places where it was being said you must tune or you'll break it. Perhaps that's true for a stoutly modified motor. Would a mail in tune be worth it in the interim? In your opinion. Been looking at 150tune or black bear. Or hopd out for the 0411 swap and tune.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! I definitely want to get into tuning this truck. Just trying to understand all the acronyms is giving me a headache. :) I'd read a couple of places where it was being said you must tune or you'll break it. Perhaps that's true for a stoutly modified motor. Would a mail in tune be worth it in the interim? In your opinion. Been looking at 150tune or black bear. Or hopd out for the 0411 swap and tune.

Supposedly black bear does a decent mail order tune. I also believe they can use data supplied by you for some back and forth which is solid. I bought a 411 with a base tune from them eons ago, so that's right up their alley as well. Or swing by my place and we'll get you squared away. ;)