Is it worth getting TPMS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97redz71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am about to get a new set of tires, and they are offering TPMS for an additional 200. Thoughts?

RedLeader289

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd pass. You can feel when a tire is dangerously low, and if you check them regularly like you do your fluids then it's just $200 leaving your pocket.

Dave454ss

Reaction score
TPMS...IMHO Its one of those things that I'd "Never Disable" in any of the vehicles I have it factory..but I certainly wouldn't ever think about retrofitting or adding it to any of my rides which dont have it.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
My view.... do you want another light goin off for no reason? When i was workin at a ferd garage those things were the BIGGEST pain in the ass... not workin with em; the customers!!!!

"My tire light is on, what do i do?"
"Theres a light on my dash that looks like fire. Whats that mean?"
"Why is my tire light on?"
"How do i get the tire light to shut off?"
"Whats this light?"
"I pumped up my back tire, why is it on?"

Idiots.... idiots everywhere. I did have one customer come in with... wait for it.... HER OWNER'S MANUAL!!!!! Said she read thru all info bout light and couldnt find anything about resettin it. Asked if there was a way SHE could reprogram it herself at home. I showed her the process, she thanked me then stopped back in after getting a new set of tires and thanked me again for showin her how to do it. Yeah i have a bad taste from new age tech.

Last edited:

Hightower1

Reaction score
As a mechanic and tire tech I say avoid them if you can. I deal with way to many people that have nothing but problems with them.

mountie

I sold my '88 C2500 to a happy guy in Germany
Reaction score
Last year I bought a new Infiniti QX 50. ( fun car to drive - rear wheel drive & 325 hp) The tire pressure light came on. I checked the tires & everything was good. ( The weather was very cold for the 1st time of the year)

I just lowered the pressure a bit then raised it to specs. The light turned off after a day of driving. My owners manual does not say how long it takes for it to shut off, but does say, " drive above 18 mph for 20 minutes" . It actually takes a day of driving".