Intake Manifold gasket heater hose issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I began the crappy job of the intake manifold gasket repair. I went to remove the heater hose that everyone complains about. I figured hey why can't I just skip the plastic disconnect and just unscrew the whole thing from the intake. Well this is why you shouldn't do that:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Now I have to remove the upper intake and try to get this out of the threads. Please do not be like me.

Also after I broke it off (it broke with VERY LITTLE FORCE by the way), I was able to disconnect the plastic pieces very easy without any breakage. So if anyone is reading this, if your plastic isn't brittle as hell then use the quick disconnect, if it is brittle, then just disconnect the hose at the heater core end.

If anyone has any tips for fixing this besides remove upper intake and try to get it out of the threads somehow while ordering the replacement part online then it'd be much appreciated. Not really sure how I'll get it out of the threads.

Member truck thread: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?29344-98-Silverado-Z71/page6

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
I'd get after it with an "easy out".
It's simple, don't stress over it.

*PRO TIP*
an old school heater hose bypass fitting ON THE WATER PUMP is the same size. Find them in the ' 'Help' section at the parts store for 3 bucks. Cut the plastic/pot metal fitting off the hose and run a worm gear clamp.

Forget about it.

Hold on, I'll go take a pic of mine.

Attachments

• IMG_20150701_004441.jpg
    IMG_20150701_004441.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The fitting didn't break because of your decision to unscrew the whole thing, instead of disconnecting at the clip. It broke because it was ready to break. This is a super common problem.

Richard