Installing a Remote Start, Alarm, or Keyless Entry?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rexall

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1996 with 5.7l / Auto. Ive wired everything up for a Python Alarm and have almost completed the install. I'm having trouble with the neutral safety switch wire for the remote start. All the wiring diagrams Iv seen for the remote start say that it is NA. I've tried just grounding the Remote Start NSS and it starts fine but when I toss the key in and drive for a few minutes it trips the ECM into fault codes. Ive also tried having it grounded and getting in the car insert key to run position and undoing the NSS lead before driving and it still does the same thing. Ive run wire down to the actual neutral safety switch on the side of the trans but I'm stuck at which of the wires I'm supposed to tap into. There are two connectors, one is a 4 pin and the other is a 7 pin connector which I believe is the right connector Im looking for. Does anyone know which wire is the correct wire to use?
I cant believe I have not seen one single post yet on the topic of installing a remote start and what was done with the neutral safety switch wire. Ive checked modifiedlife, 12volt, commando car alarms, numerous full size chevy truck forums.. I'm at a loss.

The problem I'm having with just grounding out the NSS wire is that I think somehow it throws a signal to the ECM that confuses it making it think its in park/neutral and drive at the same time. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score
I'm no wiring guru, I'm just at find on the internet lol

Do these help you out any?

You must be registered for see images attach

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score
Btw I'm searching for - "96 silverado neutral safety switch wire"

Does the 7-pin have these colors?

Rexall

Reaction score
No, mine has the one yellow one purple larger starter wires. then i have 2 green one black a yellow and a pink smaller wire. I went through all the wires and they were all throwing po codes so i double checked my remote wiring and I neglected to wire in the second ignition which gives power to the trans. I didnt need this wire on my other car and I guess I just over looked it. No PO codes and NSS wire is just to ground now with a switch to prevent startups if im under the hood.
As for which wires I knew would trip the starter the larger yellow/purple that the diagrams reference as NSS wont work, they will immediately trip the remote starter off. The black at the plug Im sure would work fine because its just a ground.
I need to get back under there and cleanly wrap up the harness now that its sorted out but I may go through and figure out if any of them actually will work now that the rest is wired properly. I have a feeling Pin B should be the proper wire at the switch. As long as its grounded in park/neutral and throws a positive in any of the other gears.

Thanks for the diagram, that one is missing pin A which I do have. Mine is more like the med. grey connector wiring #12129840

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes very important on 1991/1992 and newer trucks/most GM vehicles to add the second ign wire. Neutral safety in most GM trucks is mechanical (cannot crank if shifter isn't in park or neutral).

Laid GP

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed a cheapo eBay keyless kit. I'm sure most of the problem is due to it being a cheapo eBay kit, but it only unlocks one door and doesn't lock at all lol. Definitely going to replace that at some point..

sanitation55

Reaction score
can you hookup a remote starter so it just starts the the truck and thats all it does

meterman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
okay i have a 97 c3500 with power door locks no key fab want to install a remote start and use remote locks what kit should i get six speed /
thanks
mac