Installed new amp, humming noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jskingry

Reaction score
So I just installed new radio, speakers, wires, and amplifier in my 1993 k1500. The speakers have an audible hum or buzz now.
The hum is there even when the engine is off so it’s not the alternator. My guess is a piss poor ground. I used an 8 gauge ground wire bolted to the floor, I stripped the paint and made sure I had good metal to metal contact.
The grounds in this truck are original and probably junk but where do I start looking. The battery cable is “newer” and I cleaned its connection to the block but I assume there are straps and a firewall through somewhere.
I am going to test the amp with a wire ran straight from the battery to see if I am right but is there a good thread on grounding this truck?

Thanks

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't point to a thread, but I just installed a system/amp in my '94. The main grounding points are; Battery to engine, battery to passenger fender, Pass. cyl. head to firewall. On my diesel, I grounded both batteries to the engine, engine to frame, engine to cab, #6 cable from battery to fender. Can't have too many grounds. I grounded my amp with #4 cable to the seat belt retractor bolt, the capacitor to the rear seat seat belt bolt and have perfect sound. Sound system ground loops can be caused by a differential in ground voltage between the head unit and the amplifier; if you can get a DMM between those two points, check for differential and add grounds as necessary.

You might consider spending $3.00 here, Navone is the unchallenged expert of automotive sound systems.

Last edited: