I'm out of ideas, guys. (Truck runs like crap no matter what I do).

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Did you test the vacuum pot on the egr to make sure it wasn't ruptured?

If the o2 sensor is bad (IE: low voltage below stoich after a set period of running time) it should set a code 13.

Notice I said should.

even then, the truck will run in open loop without the O2 sensor.

meaning, no feedback from the O2 sensor and fixed tables in the calibration files.

A truck that constantly runs in open loop should also code.

It may not turn on the dash light, but the code will store as an active or history fault.

Nope, no codes. The sensor was reading like .37v-.50v when I first started the engine, then just dropped to like .007-.009v when it warmed up.

I worked on a vortec truck once that was acting exactly like this once and it was throwing all kind of o2 sensor codes. They just put a new trans in it and the plugged all the O2 sensors in backwards. So I would think it has something to do with your O2 sensors.

I might just replace it on payday. I read somewhere that o2 sensors sometimes go bad over time and are cheap. Also, I unplugged it while the engine was running and there was no change in idle.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I worked on a vortec truck once that was acting exactly like this once and it was throwing all kind of o2 sensor codes. They just put a new trans in it and the plugged all the O2 sensors in backwards. So I would think it has something to do with your O2 sensors.

a TBI is one sensor and one wire hook up.

Hard to get that backwards.....

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Nope, no codes. The sensor was reading like .37v-.50v when I first started the engine, then just dropped to like .007-.009v when it warmed up....

The O2 sensor is calibrated to output approximately 0.450-0.500 volts at stoich AFR (14.7:1). Leaner mixtures result in more oxygen content in the exhaust system, which will result in the O2 sensor outputting lower voltage (below 0.450 volts). Richer mixtures result in less oxygen content in the exhaust and thus higher voltage output (above 0.500 volts). The computer supplies a voltage bias on the O2 sensor signal wire of about 0.450 volts, and the O2 sensor will either pull down this voltage (when the exhaust is lean) or pull it up (when the exhaust is rich). The reason for the computer supplying a bias voltage is for diagnostic purposes.

(for those wondering; I don't quote from the 'net because I don't know, it's just a heck of a lot easier than pecking it all out on the keyboard!)

Sounds like you're lean when hot (ie: op temp)

Which jives with bucking under high load conditions.....which is just about any serious application of throttle.

AFR problems are always "seen" by the O2 sensor but are far less often caused by it.

Wild guess time: Bad FPR can cause this type of behavior. Fuel pressure static is not the same thing as FP under load....test it first before throwing more parts at it...

Last edited:

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
(for those wondering; I don't quote from the 'net because I don't know, it's just a heck of a lot easier than pecking it all out on the keyboard!)

Sounds like you're lean when hot (ie: op temp)

Which jives with bucking under high load conditions.....which is just about any serious application of throttle.

AFR problems are always "seen" by the O2 sensor but are far less often caused by it.

Wild guess time: Bad FPR can cause this type of behavior. Fuel pressure static is not the same thing as FP under load....test it first before throwing more parts at it...

The FPR is new. New spring and diaphragm.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
You're saying FP at idle is not the same under load. When I tested the fuel pump, it was putting out 12psi during both, I fail to see how the FPR has anything to do with it.

Yup, you missed it.

Hint: troubleshoot for lean condition.