ignition switch fuse keeps blowing out need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1977_chevyman

Reaction score
I have a 95 gmc k1500 350 tbi auto. I have a top post battery and I put new cables on the truck. yesterday I drove the truck with no problems. turned it off and on all day. I park it over night and get in it in the a.m. and nothing. turn the key and nothing. no clicks no nothing. i check the terminals and they r dirty so i clean them and nothing. the volt guage was around 9 and everything worked nothing dimmed. looked and the 40a fuse to the ignition under the hood was blown. put a new one in and volts go up to 14 but it pops when i turn the key and doesnt try to turn over. i put a 50a fuse in it and it didnt pop but it still didnt turn over. the 3rd try and the 50a poped. what do i need to look for. a bare wire touchin ground or what. when it comes to wiring i sux at it so need some help please.

ps the main wire that goes to the battery to the under hood fuse box did get cought in the belt and ate it up a lil so i taped it up. would that be the problem. there is no bare wire but could it not be gettin the right volts?