95 K1500 Limp mode keeps blowing fuse 20 TRANS. Wire Diagram needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldRed95

Reaction score
While drive on the freeway with no issue my truck went into limp mode, no tach, PRNDL or speed gauges. Pulled over and found fuse 20 had blown. replaced fuse and as soon as I turn the key to acc it pops. I limped home shifting between 2nd and drive.

Trouble shooting:
Took out gauge cluster, unplugged wire harness to transmission, transfer case and 4x4 shift actuator for not real reason. As soon as I move key to acc the fuse blows. Reconnected all wiring and replaced gauges. Truck runs fine and can manually shift between 2nd and 3rd. Took apart the column and inspected wires for obvious discoloration and did not see any. Before I break out a parts cannon does anyone have a wiring diagram for the ignition key that includes the PRNDL and TRANS fuse 20 information?

In looking through the treads it seems like the ignition switch could have carbon build up, but I did clean it with electrical cleaner. Others had issues with their computer, but this feels like a short.

Any ideas?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before I break out a parts cannon does anyone have a wiring diagram for the ignition key that includes the PRNDL and TRANS fuse 20 information?
Maybe these FSMs will help?

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fuse #20 feeds pretty much all the solenoids IIRC.
have you checked for any codes?
95 obd1 can set codes without check engine light coming on.

one of the solenoids may have shorted.