Ignition Removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DroppedAsAChild

OBS Hoarder
Reaction score
How do I remove the ignition cylinder? I am in the process of changing my ignition switch, which is on its way out. Any info on either would be a big help thanks guys.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not sure on air bag models if you have one. But as best as I know you have to use a puller to remove the wheel, then th eother special compressor tool to remove the ring inside there, and then from what I'm told it's simple. Like unbolt, slide out, clip or something. I never done one but my dad has and he has all the tools for it. He had told me before it was simple, just needed the 2 tools to remove things to get at it.

nine4gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you need a steering wheel puller tool and a steering wheel lock plate remover tool, both are loaner tools at autozone if you dont want to buy them.

pull the wheel, then use the lock plate remover tool to compress the lock plate and remove the clip on the column shaft. remove the lock plate to access the screw that holds the ignition switch in. once you remove it, you can rotate the ignition cylinder out of the column and replace.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wait the one on the bottom of the column? That one bolts on. it even comes with instructions to adjust it. I thought you meant key switch as in the one the key goes into. As far as I know the ign. switch doesn't require the key cylinder to come out it just has a rod that hooks in, the instructions told me how to do it, but turned out I didn't need to change it so I aint sure on what it said since I took it back.

DroppedAsAChild

OBS Hoarder
Reaction score
I have no instructions. Its a dealer replacement too :think:. Yeah its the Ignition SWitch not the cylinder. I cant access the top bolt though unless i take the top cover off of the column. My trucks a 99 so i have the airbags. I really didnt wanna have to pull the wheel. But I guess Ill have to.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffisClnCo