1988 gmc k1500 ignition actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

auegl

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am new to the page and hope i can get some info. I hope this in the correct section. I have 1988 sierra k1500. The ignition switch quit operating. I've gotten the steering wheel off and switch cylinder out. Thats when i realized the cylinder is not the issue. The little cog wheel behind the switch cylinder is stripped or something. I cannot find any videos on this particular thing. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Craig

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome,

Be sure to look in the "Engine" section of the forum for links to free downloads of the service manuals. It is probably covered in there. I just posted this (admittedly crummy scan) pic of the tilt column breakdown from the manual; might give you some insight. Of course if your truck doesn't have tilt it's slightly less complex.

You must be registered for see images attach

Haven't heard of your particular issue before, so it just may be that it doesn't happen enough that someone has made a video on doing the job. Usually ignition switch issues on the old style column (pre-1995) tend to be the tumbler goes bad and won't move to a particular position, or the electrical part of the switch (which you've already discovered is not insid the column, but farther down on the tube) goes bad. A third somewhat common failure mode is on the tilt columns, if the tilt assembly gets loose enough, it could interfere with the operation of the actuator rod between the tumbler mechanism and the switch.

Richard

auegl

Reaction score
Welcome,

Be sure to look in the "Engine" section of the forum for links to free downloads of the service manuals. It is probably covered in there. I just posted this (admittedly crummy scan) pic of the tilt column breakdown from the manual; might give you some insight. Of course if your truck doesn't have tilt it's slightly less complex.

You must be registered for see images attach

Haven't heard of your particular issue before, so it just may be that it doesn't happen enough that someone has made a video on doing the job. Usually ignition switch issues on the old style column (pre-1995) tend to be the tumbler goes bad and won't move to a particular position, or the electrical part of the switch (which you've already discovered is not insid the column, but farther down on the tube) goes bad. A third somewhat common failure mode is on the tilt columns, if the tilt assembly gets loose enough, it could interfere with the operation of the actuator rod between the tumbler mechanism and the switch.

Richard
Thanks so much for the reply and the scan. I will look in the engine section too.