I wanna hear your exhaust set up!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I currently have the JBAs. They're a pretty good header, stainless steel should help keep them from rusting and the ceramic coating helps keep under-hood temps down. They fit pretty comparably to the stock manifolds, which long tubes would not. They seal well to the head, and their collector design makes it essentially leak proof (no gasket). One thing to note though, because of the collector design you have to run their mid pipes, which adds ~$200 if I remember correctly. These are also stainless steel, and fit nicely. One possible downside is that the mid pipes are 3" diameter, which may hurt low end scavenging some. I honestly cannot tell if there is any difference in low end torque, to try to make up for it a bit I Y'ed the two tubes into a single 3.5" right next to the transmission.

I think they sound good for what its worth.

Also, steer clear of cheap painted headers that aren't stainless steel. I had a set and they only last 2 years before they came apart at the collector. They also didn't seal worth a **** to the heads, and the collector gasket constantly failed.

So I'd be looking at anywhere from $500-$600 to upgrade from the stock exhaust manifolds? JBA is really the only brand I commonly see, Doug Thorley is another, but I've heard and read some pretty negative things about them,

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'd be looking at anywhere from $500-$600 to upgrade from the stock exhaust manifolds? JBA is really the only brand I commonly see, Doug Thorley is another, but I've heard and read some pretty negative things about them,

I think the headers along around ~$600 for the natural stainless steel, so $800 with the mid pipes. +$100 for ceramic coating if you'd want that. You are correct though, the JBAs were the only good set of headers I could find for our trucks with the 7.4.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I think the headers along around ~$600 for the natural stainless steel, so $800 with the mid pipes. +$100 for ceramic coating if you'd want that. You are correct though, the JBAs were the only good set of headers I could find for our trucks with the 7.4.

Well. Damn, I figured it would be expensive, I've seen Ebay JBAs from race parts suppliers for $300-$400 but of course it is Ebay.
I wish Banks still made the PowerPack kit for these 454s,

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well. Damn, I figured it would be expensive, I've seen Ebay JBAs from race parts suppliers for $300-$400 but of course it is Ebay.
I wish Banks still made the PowerPack kit for these 454s,

Indeed, I've always read good things about that kit. As far as the ebay headers go, if they're from a reputable seller that's in the US it may be worth the gamble?

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Indeed, I've always read good things about that kit. As far as the ebay headers go, if they're from a reputable seller that's in the US it may be worth the gamble?

Maybe, it was some company based out of Texas I think, I'll try to find them again.
Did see on Summit Racing they had the Banks kit for like $2100!

obxjake

Reaction score
Have manifold exhaust leak and dealer wants $1,400 to replace both side 5.7. Any suggestions? Thinking about hearers and dual exhaust. Cant find who eaten NC 27972.