I have a brake problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nuke

I go by the name Matt
Reaction score
In the past month, I've made 6 trips(3 round trips) in to the mountains to go to a state park(Prince Gallitzin in PA). To get here, you have to go over a lot of mountains.l Well yesterday was my 4th trip and I almost didn't make a turn because I couldn't slow down. On my previous trips, by the time we were out of the mountains, I could smell my brakes, a lot. I could feel resistance when I tried to brake, but it would only go to a certain point and gradually come to a stop. Before this happened, I would press the peddle, and it would stop pretty fast, and the more I pressed in, the faster I would stop. Now when I press the peddle in, I will start to slow down, but not stop for a while. It doesn't have a very progressive feel to it.
I just put new pads and shoes in about 4 months ago from Carquest along with new rotors from Napa at the same time. My wheels are also covered in brake dust.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
could be a lot of things. Brakes will fade if they are overheated, which can easily happen if you are riding the brakes hard especially going through hilly areas. It could also be a sticky caliper causing the brakes to overheat. Did you bleed the brakes when you did your last brake job? If not when's the last time the brake fluid has been flushed. Old brake fluid will contribute to poor brake performance. I would check those things out first and go from there

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also make sure you bed the pads and rotors properly. Flush the system completely, sounds like your pads were glazing.

Nuke

I go by the name Matt
Reaction score
I thought it might've overheated, but the problem didn't go away after 24hrs of cooling off. We did bleed the brakes when we changed the pads. What would be a good company to get brake pads from if need be?

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Also make sure there's not excessive mud build up on the brake components which would cause brake overheating.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the pads are outgassing from excessive heat. I definitely had the problem a time or two on the winding roads through the foothills and Santa Cruz mountains with the stock front brakes.

Downshift, let the motor work for you. Don't ride the brakes.

Some slotted rotors will help prevent the gasses form impeding the pad and rotors from touching, also the small upgrade to the larger bore 3/4t IFS calipers might be helpful.