Howdy from Texas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
How's it goin?
I'm Dustin from San Antonio, TX.
Been on FSC forever, and GMFullsize. I saw a link over on FSC.
I've had quite a few rigs, including two obs'. The first was my '97 GMC Z71 I picked up for $4700 with 127k miles. I regret it, but I sold it for $5500 with 136k, so at least I made some profit. Here's how it looked before I sold it.
You must be registered for see images attach

A little later down the line I picked up a 2000 z71, but was missing my OBS. So, after selling my 2000 z71 I convinced my buddies dad to sell me his 1996 Chevy Silverado that he custom ordered from the factory with the 5.7, 3.73's with the locking rear diff, and blue 60/40 split bench.
I picked it up last week. Only 115k miles and completely stock aside from a K&N filter and a bug gaurd that I promptly removed.
I already ordered some exhaust for it, and plan on getting a tune (and removing the california emissions.)
Anyway, I'm happy with the purchase. I'm used to lifting however I am throwing around the idea of lowering this one, and am wondering who recommends what.
Here's the only pic I have of it, with the rear level thanks to my buddies 350, engine hoist and interior, lol

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to GMT400 man, and couple nice rigs you have/had there.

For your newer 96, I would just demold, throw on some new lights (all upfront), some 20s and call it good.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome to GMT400 !!!!

There's quite a few avenues you can take as for lowering but you might want to consider how you plan to use the truck before purchasing your drop parts.

IMO
Towing/Hauling 2/3 drop
Daily Driver 4/6-5/8 drop depending on the roads where you travel daily is the sexiest static drop on OBS trucks.

I personally think anything from 5/8 on needs to be bagged if it's a daily driver and keep in mind any drop 4"- more on ext. cabs normally requires a frame & bed support notch to stop the rear pumkin from bottoming out.

Last edited:

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had my truck loaded down pretty good several times when I had my 5/8 drop, and I didn't even have helper bags.

I would say that I probably wouldn't go more than 4/6 on an extended cab just because of the longer wheelbase.

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've been throwing around the idea of demolding it. If I do, it'll be when I colormatch everything (g9m3c's truck over on FSC has me pretty much set on doing so.) And I want to replace the lights, but I don't like the euro look of most of the aftermarket style lights. If I do drop it, it'll probably be a 4/6 at the very most, but more likely then anything a 2/4.
I'll see if I can't get some more pics today.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some simple diamond clear headlights and parking lights will clean it up without the cheesy look of a lot of the lights out there.