How To : Upgrade stock bulbs to 9012/9011 Or HIR1/HIR2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Good write up, but seriously. It was constructive criticism. Just because you weren't the first to do this does not mean this thread is unhelpful and unappreciated. I made a thread on converting you stock radios bulbs to leds. I knew I wasn't the first to do it, I actually got help from another member to be able to make the write up. Richard did not come off as an ass at all in his post. You just took it the wrong way. Just my two cents
Could be, idk. I'm not seriously hurt, upset, mad or anything else anyway.

At the end of the day, like I said earlier, I'm happy with my bulbs, trucks, thread, etc lol. Like I said, I asked, didn't get a lot of info, did get some questions, so I thought I'd take some pics, share some links, and help people figure out what's best for them.

And also like I said, I do appreciate the template he posted, if I would have looked harder, I probably would have found that too, but for me, what's done is done :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
HAHA when I was little my Grandpa named Bill taught me to tell people, "My Pa Bill'll Whoop your Ass!"

Walmart didn't have the bulbs. They had the 9006 and 9005 but not the 9012 or 9011's. I'll have to try the parts house next time I get out there.
You can get 'em at Home Depot. Seriously. Same price as anywhere else, too.

Good write up, but seriously. It was constructive criticism. Just because you weren't the first to do this does not mean this thread is unhelpful and unappreciated. I made a thread on converting you stock radios bulbs to leds. I knew I wasn't the first to do it, I actually got help from another member to be able to make the write up. Richard did not come off as an ass at all in his post. You just took it the wrong way. Just my two cents
'preciate that. :) It was truly meant as constructive on that first response because it really troubled me to see one of the tabs almost completely gone. These 9012's cost $20+ ea no matter where you buy them, and leaving just a hair of a tab left to lock it into the housing is asking for trouble. Those tabs also ensure the bulb sits straight in the housing so that the light pattern is correct. That tab breaks while you're cutting or later in the truck, and you're screwed. It's totally, completely unnecessary to cut it that way.

The number of people that wanted to bandwagon onto the feels train was impressive. Not.

Richard

Pampo'sTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Goes to show you it's easy to intend something you say on a forum one way and have it perceived 3-4 different ways lol. No tone of voice and no body language leaves a lot to the imagination.

I like the post you did with how exactly to cut the bulbs. Good stuff.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goes to show you it's easy to intend something you say on a forum one way and have it perceived 3-4 different ways lol. No tone of voice and no body language leaves a lot to the imagination.

I like the post you did with how exactly to cut the bulbs. Good stuff.

This is exactly why Richard is appreciated and highly respected here and on MANY other forums.... He won't beat around the bush about it. I for one have gone to him many times for advice and can't say I liked what he told me but I do respect his advice and follow it because it saves me money and from doing stupid ....

But the High school drama he said she said my dad your dad, if that's the case it needs to go to GMFS.... Does not belong here!

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be, idk. I'm not seriously hurt, upset, mad or anything else anyway.

At the end of the day, like I said earlier, I'm happy with my bulbs, trucks, thread, etc lol. Like I said, I asked, didn't get a lot of info, did get some questions, so I thought I'd take some pics, share some links, and help people figure out what's best for them.

And also like I said, I do appreciate the template he posted, if I would have looked harder, I probably would have found that too, but for me, what's done is done :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Thanks for posting about the 9011-9012 bulbs. Now I know what I want for Fathers Day.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Really?

By the way, the tab trimming is very well-documented across the internet. A very small cut to the center tab is all that is needed.
You must be registered for see images attach

Really?

If you search this forum for "9012" you'll find several other threads about them, some recent...

No; just some people are very unobservant. I'm not one of them.

Richard
Richard, thanks for the info on where to trim the tabs. Saved me the trouble of filing a little at a time till I got it right. Thanks again.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So if I use the 9012's for low beam in my stock headlight housing's (1991 C1500 ) is the light going to be all over the place and blinding oncoming cars ?

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
So if I use the 9012's for low beam in my stock headlight housing's (1991 C1500 ) is the light going to be all over the place and blinding oncoming cars ?

The short answer is yes. I've used them in tow vehicles now and haven't ever been flashed in either one, but maybe it's due to their crappy lenses

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The short answer is yes. I've used them in tow vehicles now and haven't ever been flashed in either one, but maybe it's due to their crappy lenses
Thanks for the info and the quick reply. I think I'll try the 9011's first for high beam's and see how that goes. Are these going to be shining light up in the trees and not so much on the road ?